Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1917 test Doughboy Helmet

Article about: Greetings to all, I found this unusual “test helmet”. I'm quite sure this is a WWI M1917 Doughboy Helmet. The rivets are smaller and finer (looking at the outer rim) which holds the chin str

Greetings to all,

Sorry for my late reply. I fell ill and was out for a couple of days. Thank you mark for your very detailed description for the drilling. There is no doubt in my mind that you and William are right to the hole in my helmet. What I really like about this helmet is that the lining and chinstrap are in pristine condition. Yes, the drill hole just adds to it. Piotrek, you are correct that you can see the shadow and some red paint on my helmet. I'm pretty sure that the over paint is original time period. The rough texture seems to be of a sandy texture. Over all I didn't expect such a great responds towards my helmet. I wish to thank every one for their comments and corrections. I just wish to say that every one on this site is so helpfull and professional to individual subjects. I would like to add that I wished I had more knowledge to return the favour to help others too. I guess that day will come. Once again thank you all.

Skip

The holes were punched, not drilled. This lot was rejected for being too brittle, and the irregular hole is a result of that brittleness.

Quote by aef1917 View Post
    The holes were punched, not drilled. This lot was rejected for being too brittle, and the irregular hole is a result of that brittleness.
    Thanks for the input. I certainly would not argue the toss over what type of tool was used except to say it was a tool rather than a bullet which is the relevant point. I agree that, in a manufacturing environment a punch is as likely as a drill.
    My opinion (that's what it was) was based on my own knowledge and experience of drilling holes and fairly close experience of bullet holes and not on knowledge of this particular procedure.
    Therefore, I and I expect others, would be keen to learn any factual information you have abou it.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2