Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M1917 Training Helmet

Article about: Here is an old Doughboy shell me and the kid picked up last week while making our regular rounds through some of the local antique stores. I know that the red stripe, across the top, and ½ i

Default M1917 Training Helmet

Here is an old Doughboy shell me and the kid picked up last week while making our regular rounds through some of the local antique stores. I know that the red stripe, across the top, and ½ in hole, in the rim, indicate that this M1917 is a reject, failing some type of acceptance test but I do not know much else for certain. One article I found said that, for each batch of shells that were made, one was pulled and a .45 caliber ballistics test was performed (assuming at a pretty fair distance away) and if the shell failed, the entire batch was rejected, a red stripe applide and a ½ inch hole stamped out of the rim to identify them as rejects. These lids where then sent off and used for training. Sounds pretty plausible but I sure would like this confirmed by other sources before I take it as gospel. Any insight on this lid and it’s origins from anyone?

M1917 Training Helmet

M1917 Training Helmet

M1917 Training Helmet

M1917 Training Helmet

M1917 Training Helmet

M1917 Training Helmet

Also, did you happen to notice what the lid is set on? On this same day, we just happened across a guy selling an Iraqi Freedom Prayer Rug. We didn’t know what the value of something like this was but my son and I both thought it would be a great addition to his collection. It was priced such that we couldn’t pass it up, so we brought it home. Haven’t been able to find much info in this either, but that’s a thread for another day.

Regards,

Russ & Son

?

Default Re: M1917 Training Helmet

That helmet is neat. I got 2 Afgan war rugs for $60 at the flea market. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Russ one just like this is on eBay under WWII helmets. Only thing the one on ebay is painted gold and he wants a lot for it. Gary

Gary, I looked through WWII Helmets on Ebay twice and never stumbled across this helmet. Can you plast the link? Thanks, Russ

I just found another artical, on the net, confirming the .45 cal ballistics testing, it stated that for about every 50 shells stamped, one was pulled and tested. It gave details of the test but gave no insight as to what was done, in the way of identification, for the rejected helmets. I'll keep searching!

?

Russ sorry about that my phone changed WWI TO WWII . It's in the WWI helmet section of eBay. Sorry I don't know how to post the link

I found it Gary, Good looking helmet, although I'm not sure about the gold color? If what I have learned about the hole punch is correct, the seller has it described wrong (hopefully unintentionally) as he states it was a helmet used by a Medic...always a good story to real in buyers. The gold paint has covered the red stripe taking away any value of the helmet, in my opinion, even with a great looking liner and chin strap.

?

Russ I agree buy the item not the story. I think the gold is post war . Gary