Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M1917A Kelly helmet WW2

Article about: Here is pre ww2 helmet used during ww2 that was the same steel body as the WW1 M1917 helmet shell except the liner system had been completely revamped. I have my M1917 helmet up on the imper

Default M1917A Kelly helmet WW2

Here is pre ww2 helmet used during ww2 that was the same steel body as the WW1 M1917 helmet shell except the liner system had been completely revamped. I have my M1917 helmet up on the imperial WW1 part of this forum if you want to compare the differences. This particular helmet is stamped 23A and was made by McCord (correct me if I am wrong guys). These helmets were made from 1936 up until 1941 at which point the M1 was put into production. It has the early war brass buckle with bar and sharp J hook (we all like to see these on our early M1s ) the leather liner is well worn through with use and the padding that would have been on the inside dome is missing this is a used and abused lid. Please feel free to add anything and thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917A Kelly helmet WW2   M1917A Kelly helmet WW2  

M1917A Kelly helmet WW2   M1917A Kelly helmet WW2  

M1917A Kelly helmet WW2   M1917A Kelly helmet WW2  

M1917A Kelly helmet WW2  

?

I've never had one of these in the hand, is the liner riveted in place or with a nut and bolt? Didn't know they had textured paint either.

Tony

Hi tony it's a bolt and nut attaching the liner. As for the texture, as far as I have read into the M1917A they where done the same way as the M1s but do not hold me to that. Here is a good link to these lids but run it through google translator .: World War Helmets - Casque US Model 1917 - A1 :. hope this helps.

?

Thanks!

Yes I know the site but had to go out and I'm afraid laziness prevailed

The Kelly is perhaps another lid I need to keep an eye out for.