Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

Article about: This just arrived in the mail today. Nothing fancy. Basically a blue over painted M1917A1 Kelly helmet. I purchased this helmet from a well respected fellow collector. He purchased the helme

?

Congrats on this great pickup M.!
    Its much more fascinating when you actually know the story behind the item!And what a story it could tell!!!
    P.s. I really like the looks of these ww1 helmets!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Ripper View Post
    Congrats on this great pickup M.!
    Its much more fascinating when you actually know the story behind the item!And what a story it could tell!!!
    P.s. I really like the looks of these ww1 helmets!
    Thanks! Still more research to be done. Would like to get more information on this vet and his military career if possible.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

MAP what a great helmet . My avatar is of my grandfather in Hawaii he got out 1941. He was in the army and when the war started up he joined back up but in the Navy. Great helmet Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    MAP what a great helmet . My avatar is of my grandfather in Hawaii he got out 1941. He was in the army and when the war started up he joined back up but in the Navy. Great helmet Gary
    I like that.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Thanks Gary.

So assume he was "out" before the attack? Did he keep any of his uniforms or helmet?

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

No I do have a photo album of him in the MP's and one of his navy dog tags and a few other paper items. When I was a kid he told me he had a choice go in the army or go to jail . He joined up and I was told by my uncle's he got into the MPs because he was a fighter. He was in the the barracks and told everybody that the bed was his Foot Locker is his and the sergeant came in and told him everything in the barracks was his so he grabbed my grandfather and drag him outside where my grandfather proceeded to beat the sergeant my grandfather thought he was going to The Stockade but they said no you're coming with us and he was an MP after that

MAP
    ?

No I do have a photo album of him in the MP's and one of his navy dog tags and a few other paper items. When I was a kid he told me he had a choice go in the army or go to jail . He joined up and I was told by my uncle's he got into the MPs because he was a fighter. He was in the the barracks and told everybody that the bed was his Foot Locker is his and the sergeant came in and told him everything in the barracks was his so he grabbed my grandfather and drag him outside where my grandfather proceeded to beat the sergeant my grandfather thought he was going to The Stockade but they said no you're coming with us and he was an MP after that
    That is too funny!

Something special to have, well done
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

MAP
    ?

I was able to purchase the remaining few pieces that belonged to this vet. They included a satchel, unmarked cap (with a cross inside) as well a a minty M1 Helmet liner.

While the M1 helmet liner was the best part of the group, it was the satchel that was the key as it contained his service number. With this new information and lots (LOTS) of help from Marty, we were able to piece together "a bit" of his service career.

The M1 liner is a mid war Firestone with a 79th Infantry Division decal. Inscribed with his name and unit. The Capt bars are an anomaly because by this time he was a Lt. Col. How they got on their we do not know. But the helmet is his and all original.

This is what we have so far on Col Charles Morgan.

Not what I expected at all.

Charles Crisp Morgan was born in in Vienna Georgia on March 19th 1891. Drafted in 1917 and then began a life long career in the military.

WW1 - Not much is known yet about his time in WW1,
    1920's - In the 1920's he was with the 14th Inf Regiment in the Panama Canal Zone. Also spent some time in Philadelphia.
    1930's - Just prior to WW2, he was with the Coastal Artillery Corp (16th Regiment Fort Ruger, Battery Harlow ) which matches perfectly with his "Pearl Harbor" helmet from Fort Ruger.
    WW2 - During WW2 he was with the "Cross of Lorraine" 79th Infantry Div, 315th Regiment which fought at Cherbourg .
    Post War - He apparently retired from the Army on March 31st, 1948. He still was back and forth in Europe

His promotions were

2nd Lt 8/15/1917
    1st Lt 7/01/1920
    Capt 4/11/1921
    Major 6/14/1934
    Lt Col 8/18/1940
    Col ?????

Still a lot of holes to be filled.
    - 5/31/1917 - WW1 Draft Card Vienna Georgia. Blue eyes, Brown Hair, No prior service. Single Born March 19, 1891 Age 25
    - 1922 Document listing him as an officer (service number) Graduating Infantry School Basic Course in 1921. But it also showed that he was a 2nd Lt Sec O.R.C (Officer Reserve Candidate?) Aug 15, 2017, Active duty Aug 15, 1917, 2nd Lt NG (National Guard) Aug 15, 1917, 1st Lt of Inf July 1, 1920, accepted Sept 17, 1920. Recommended for promotion to Capt July 1, 1920, accepted Apr 11, 1921
    - December 1 1926 Army Recruiting News - Athletics in the Army - Captain Charles C Morgan 14th Infantry - Marathon runner
    - July 1 1927 - Army List and Directory lists Charles C Morgan Service # 08120 as a Captain with the 14th Inf, Ft. Davis, Panama Canal Zone

Large gap and then

- April 10, 1939 - "Army List and Directory" - Charles C Morgan Promotion April 1 1938 to Major 79th Infantry Division (although it may actually have been 1935)
    - June 1 1939 - "Passenger List" UST Republic Sailing June 1, 1939 from - Charles C Morgan, Major Infantry. First Class From NY to San Francisco en-route to Honolulu
    - August 18th, 1940 - Promoted to Lt Col in the CAC Coastal Artillery Corp - Ties in with Fort Ruger, Battery Harlow in Hawaii
    - Oct 27 1949 - Passenger list - USAT George W Goethals, 1st Class, Bremerhaven German Oct 27th arriving New York Nov 9th. Charles Morgan (aged 58) and Hazel Morgan (aged 49)
    - Oct 31, 1952 - Passenger list - USNS Gen H.F. Hodges (T-AP144) Charles Morgan aged 61, Hazel Morgan (52) of 111 Linwood Ave. Ardmore, Penn. Departing from Naples Italy , arriving at New York
    - Find a grave - Charles Crisp Morgan 3/19/1891. Death 10/4/1962 (aged 71). Arlington National Cemetery

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

What a fantastic grouping.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast