Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M2 Paratrooper Helmet

Article about: Hi I have this helmet, i want to authentify this because it exist many copies What do you think about this helmet ? For me all seem to be good but i'm not an expert.. The serial number is 28

Default M2 Paratrooper Helmet

Hi

I have this helmet, i want to authentify this because it exist many copies
    What do you think about this helmet ?
    For me all seem to be good but i'm not an expert..
    The serial number is 286B or 236B so it means a july or september 1942 production

Thank you !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M2 Paratrooper Helmet   M2 Paratrooper Helmet  

M2 Paratrooper Helmet   M2 Paratrooper Helmet  

I think you have a good one there, because from those pictures it looks good to me. The lot number could be 236B because the known data on m2’s puts them in the range of lots100 to235 but who’s to say that data is exactly correct.
    What makes it rarer is the fact that both the C loops are intact which is something I have only seen on a hand full on the web. Great that it has the straps as well.
    Would be good to see a picture of the lot number and the bar tacking of the straps to the bales. And see if you can see what’s written on the backs of the male snaps.
    I stand to be corrected but it looks good to me.
    Rod

Here is a picture of the number
    Sorry i didn't understand what is bar tacking ?
    On the back of the snaps it's written united carr

M2 Paratrooper Helmet

looks like 226B. I think that is the straight bottom line of a number 2 on that second digit. which would put it in the range of known lot numbers.
    To me you have got yourself a nice very rare complete M2 helmet there. Normally the C loops broke and have been repaired. this is why I have only seen about four un messed with examples over the last eight years,
    Don't think anyone else on here will own one of these so replies might be few.
    well done! hope it was a bargain.
    Rod

Thank you very much for your help plumbob
    It was not a bargain, but a very good bargain.. i found it with a polish guard forces (PGF) liner, used to supervise the german prisoners camp at the end of the war
    Where could i find a liner for this ? and what will be the price ?

Guillaume

Ideally a inland jump liner would be great for this helmet. Here is one for sale to give you an idea of price, not in great condition I might add. M-1 Helmet Depot — Inland Airborne paratrooper jump liner!
    Also a mid war green cast buckle Westinghouse jump liner would look good in it. You will have to do your home work on jump liners because they are heavily faked as well. Mine one would probably have had an Hawley jump liner it, which has been lost to time.
    If yours was used for guard duty it might explain why its in good condition. Wearing liners would have done for that job I would imagine. Would like to see that liner it came with,
    Thanks for showing
    Regards
    Rod
    Last edited by plumbob; 11-04-2017 at 12:47 AM.

The price is... waaaw
    I hope find one with a better price
    Yes i will have a look about it to buy a good liner
    Maybe this liner was add by the seller to complete the helmet.. i don't know if they were together during the war..
    I will show this liner in the US M1 steel helmet forum, i this it will be better

Guillaume

I can get you an "expert" reliable opinion & description on this D bale. Not saying "Plumbob" is not experienced. But as he said...these were usually found broken & re-welded or post war repaired. A really poor design that was done away with before many were made. Some are thought to be war time repaired, that's how fragile they were. Due to the value & rarity of these, some were repaired with extreme care & tough to tell. I have handled a few, the only thing I know about them is what I have stated & that they bring a lot of $$ to the seller.

In the meantime, don't sell it !! Are you aware of the market value on an original example of one of these ? It may shock you.

Will get you a complete description based on your posted pics. Will PM you after the weekend

David

Yes jump liners are expensive, I to have been looking for a inexpensive one for while now.
    I would like a look at your liner out of interest, thank you.
    There’s a chance that the helmet and liner have been together forever. It makes sense that the thousands of Polish working for the U.S. post war would have been kitted out with U.S. material. Have read somewhere that some M2s were issued to other branches due to their unreliability, especially after the M1C was introduced.
    It would be good to get another opinion from an “expert” to put your mind at rest.
    Thank you David
    Regards
    Rod

Hi real steel
    Thank you for your help
    Honestly i don't know the exact price for a M2 helmet without liner today
    I saw complete M2 helmet for sale at 4000€ but i think prices could be very high
    I will show the liner in the US M1 helmet forum today

Guillaume

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast