Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store today

Article about: Hello All, This afternoon I picked up a Adrian Helmet, I took a chance on it as after looking at the metal up close it looked legitimate enough to me to take a chance on, it has what appears

Default M26 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store today

Hello All,

This afternoon I picked up a Adrian Helmet, I took a chance on it as after looking at the metal up close it looked legitimate enough to me to take a chance on, it has what appears to be a reproduction liner in it .

This is my first Adrian & I think it is a M 26 , but I am unsure. Outside paint looks original, but the interior is painted black and I am unsure if this is proper, any help is much appreciated M24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store todayM24 Adrian I just picked up at an Antique Store today

Best

Donald
    Last edited by Donald F Smith; 02-16-2015 at 02:18 AM. Reason: typo

Hello Donald,

This helmet looks liek a Belgian M31. The black helmets were purpose made for the Civil Defense and were used post war.

They sported a brass insignia.

Have a look at this site: .: World War Helmets - Casque Adrian modèle 31 :.

Cheers,
    Emile

Thank you Emile,

That particular site is very informative I sincerely appreciate it.

I got a better look at the interior black paint, I think the interior was possibly repainted black at some point ?

The exterior olive paint looks to be original. Although did some civil service helmets get repainted olive during the war?

I'd like to restore the helmet properly and find the appropriate badge for the front as well, if advisable

Thank you for your help.

All the best

Donald
    Last edited by Donald F Smith; 02-16-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Additional questions

Hello Donald,

The original CD colour of this lid was black. The olive green was added postwar.

The lion head badge can be bought as a reproduction, but you'll never create an original that way.

Look at this Belgian site: Frameset

Cheers,
    Emile

Thank you Emile,

Looking closer at the helmet I see what you mean regarding the olive paint being on top of the original black. I suppose I will sell it off as is. It was worth the chance purchasing it. I don't think it would be worth restoring it back to its Civil Defense paint.

As a side question, Why were these originally black helmets repainted olive on the outside ?

Best

Donald

Hello Donald,

Most likely someone wanted a military M31 and painted it an olive colour and then decided to abandon the project.

These helmets in original CD livery do not come expensive.

Cheers,
    Emile