Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Malta Riot 1958 Helmets

Article about: I have had this helmet since 1972. Purchased in Gozo (Maltese Island) from a military surplus. Going to these surplus stores was like entering heaven. Piled up on one side of a room, was a m

?

Default Malta Riot 1958 Helmets

I have had this helmet since 1972. Purchased in Gozo (Maltese Island) from a military surplus. Going to these surplus stores was like entering heaven. Piled up on one side of a room, was a massive pile of helmets . This pile reached up to the ceiling. At the bottom of this pile I found this helmet with the writing on it ,as you see in the photo. The writing refers to the Malta riot of April 1958 against the British forces by the then Labour government. The question from me is: the work SWEDE is it an English slang word for head and if so from what part of the country. It would be very interesting to know. The helmet has a couple of dents on the crown. Maybe whoever wore it had a lucky escape !

Malta Riot 1958 HelmetsMalta Riot 1958 HelmetsMalta Riot 1958 Helmets

?

Your head

"My girlfriend is always having a go at me, she does my bloody swede in!"
    or.
    A stupid, dumb person. Often used when someone does something stupid.
    What a swede!
    Cockney slang.
    Can you remember if there were any Malta stonewall camo's.

I think they all went to Saffron Walden.........

mpw
    ?

I was there, well sort of. Dad was in the Royal navy and had to drive through the riots (although he always maintained it was only a general strike and demonstrations) to see his first born. Me!
    Mtarfa April 1958 happy days.

?

Thank you for all your information. The pile of helmets, about 500 in number, were all the same without any markings(except of course this one). In the many times that I visited the army surplus in Malta or Gozo I never saw a stone wall camo helmet. I did, however, find plenty of other helmets over the years. If you were lucky enough they would allow you to go in the stores and rummage around and if it was your day you will find something good.

These army surplus stores all dried up after a couple of years after the British services left the Island.

With regards Mtarfa I will upload next time a distinctive helmet used by the medical staff at the Naval hospitals in Malta.

Yes, definitely English slang for head. Unusual to see it on a helmet like that though.
    I went to Malta and Gozo over 30 years ago when I was a child and loved it. I think it has changed a bit since then and a lot more tourists.
    Nick

?

Somebody had a sense of humour.
    I wonder if it was used in a mess presentation, such as a farewell?

Oz.

?

Thank you for all the information. So now I know what SWEDE is referred to. As regards the helmet there is remains of the oil cloth of the helmet which was sitting above it. Considering the summer temperatures in Malta the oilcloth used to melt or sometimes stick to the wearer's head. Sometimes the oilcloth was removed and the liner just left with the rim. I will post one of these helmets sometimes this week. Thank you again.