Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Mark II paint

Article about: Hi all, got this MKII with the 3 holes in either side of the rim. I think that means its South African? Unfortunatly the markings on the shell are covered by paint. My main question is what

Default Mark II paint

Hi all, got this MKII with the 3 holes in either side of the rim. I think that means its South African? Unfortunatly the markings on the shell are covered by paint. My main question is what theatre paint is on it. My first thought was desert colour but it does'nt seem yellow enough. Any thoughts?

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mark II paint   Mark II paint  

?

Default Re: Mark II paint

Usually the three holes indicate that it's from SA. Colour looks green/brown from the pics. Hard to see actually. Nice lid.

?

It's a British MkII No2.C, these are helmets that were not up to the job of being fit for military use & were used on the home front. They came with 1-4 holes drilled in the brim to make sure they did'nt get mixed up with the better quality helmets used by the armed forces. Mostly painted grey, but if painted khaki then more than likely used by the home guard. The dates & maker names are stamped by the chin strap lugs,on the liner it should be on the cross over straps, but sometimes they were'nt marked.

Ah, I see. I tell you im learning more and more about these MkIIs as the weeks go by. Alot of people pass them by but I think they are great to collect. Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Usually the three holes indicate that it's from SA. Colour looks green/brown from the pics. Hard to see actually. Nice lid.
    Although not correct in this instance, you are right in what you say, but the 3 holes were drilled around the back of the helmet brim for the attachment of a sunshade.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images Mark II paint 
    Last edited by StuG III; 01-17-2012 at 09:53 PM.

NCA
    ?

I love 'em!Such a great variety and interesting history.You just need a chinstrap for it now.
    SA helmets have a spaced out row of three holes on the back of the rim.

?

I have similar helmet, the colour is either grey or Tundra Green and is associated with the fire service.