Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mine Safety Appliances M1 liner question

Article about: Did Mine Safety Appliances only make liners for WWII? I'm about to buy one from a shop but i'm unsure if it's WWII or post WWII.

Default Mine Safety Appliances M1 liner question

Did Mine Safety Appliances only make liners for WWII? I'm about to buy one from a shop but i'm unsure if it's WWII or post WWII.

NCA
    ?

Default Re: Mine Safety Appliances M1 liner question

Is the webbing khaki?Front grommet hole?Chinstrap studs?It'll be WW2.

Not sure, I only picked it up and checked the liner stamp.It seems to be in too good condition to be WWII so i'm worried.

NCA
    ?

Quote by LutherMoore View Post
    Not sure, I only picked it up and checked the liner stamp.It seems to be in too good condition to be WWII so i'm worried.
    I know what you mean..it could be New old stock.I've seen genuine lliners that are completely mint.Liners with all the features i mentioned will be ww2 thats for sure.

I might take a photo of it in the shop and post it.M1's are very hard to figure out.

It seems you need advice quickly on this... I am 90% sure that MSA only produced liners during WWII.

My first front seam, fixed bale M1 helmet came with an MSA liner. I should mention that this liner DID NOT have the front grommet hole.

EDIT: From the M1 Liner thread in the M1 Helmet section of this forum:

MINE SAFETY APPLIANCE (MSA)

Manufactured in Pittsburgh, Pennslyvannia this "high pressure" manufactured M-1 helmet liner is identified by an embossed "MSA" in the crown. Mine Safety Appliance started M-1 helmet liner delivery to the US Army in September 1942. They produced approximately between 2,000,000 - 4,000,000 M-1 helmet liners and discontinued producton around August 17, 1945 when the war ended
    Here is a photo of my helmet with MSA liner. It's the lid that started me into collecting!
    Mine Safety Appliances M1 liner questionMine Safety Appliances M1 liner questionMine Safety Appliances M1 liner questionMine Safety Appliances M1 liner questionMine Safety Appliances M1 liner question

Thanks for the photos.The liner looks likes its in the same condition as yours.The shell ( the one from the shop)is a worry as its a lighter green and looks to have the post war shape (not as tall as the WWII).

Quote by LutherMoore View Post
    Thanks for the photos.The liner looks likes its in the same condition as yours.The shell ( the one from the shop)is a worry as its a lighter green and looks to have the post war shape (not as tall as the WWII).
    That's definitely a concern with M1 helmets. Because the liners are easily installed and removed, it's not uncommon to see early liners (WWII) in late pots (Vietnam or even 1980s vintage). Also, WWII vintage pots with Vietnam or later liners!

If you can, snap some photos or at the very least describe the chinstrap bales...

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    That's definitely a concern with M1 helmets. Because the liners are easily installed and removed, it's not uncommon to see early liners (WWII) in late pots (Vietnam or even 1980s vintage). Also, WWII vintage pots with Vietnam or later liners!

If you can, snap some photos or at the very least describe the chinstrap bales...
    ya i bought a helmet from a guy who said it was his from the 70's or 80's and it ended up having a WWII liner in it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast