Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mk 3 Turtle helmet, latest addition.

Article about: by tinlid Then there are the ones that are a bit of both, a MkIII shell dated 45 but with low chin strap lugs which is really a MkIV. Just using up the left over MkIII shells. Is the liner h

Default Re: Mk 3 Turtle helmet, latest addition.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Then there are the ones that are a bit of both, a MkIII shell dated 45 but with low chin strap lugs which is really a MkIV. Just using up the left over MkIII shells.
    Is the liner held in with a Lift the dot fastener or a bolt?

?

I'm pretty sure it was a lift the dot, it was'nt my helmet.

Ah, okay. Well if it had a LTD stud and low side rivets, It's simply a MKIV.

very nice find reg , anglesey is not to far from us it makes for a great display i decided to strip a layer of thick green paint from mine applied post war to reveal what was later confirmed as an 1948 israeli war mk111 so i was best pleased if you dont mind me posting here's some pics Mk 3 Turtle helmet, latest addition.Mk 3 Turtle helmet, latest addition.Mk 3 Turtle helmet, latest addition.Mk 3 Turtle helmet, latest addition.

Reg
    ?

Lovelly lid, nice find :-)

Hi Guys, bringing Reg's thread back up as I would like to talk more about possible hybrid MkIII/MkIV's.

I was in a local antiques shop today and came across a turtle helmet. Paint was mint, textured finish NATO like olive green and smooth inside. The chin strap lugs were low as per MkIV, (I own two MKIII's) but the liner was held in place with a bolt. No indentation to the crown or lift the dot fastener. I could not see any markings to the shell. Liner was just marked "7" with white ink. White paper traces stuck to the liner like it had been stored/stacked one on the other. Priced at £25.

He also had several other true 1950's dated MKIV's (one with small green/red diamond flash) and one tatty MKV.

Sorry no pics....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Not sure what we'd call that Ade. Very early MkIV I suppose using up old liners. Odd though as there was apparently a gap between the end of MkIII production and start of MkIV production. There is a good article from the Armourer that details this.

What, and you didn't buy one? Its those oddities that really fascinate me, I can spent hours, days, weeks, trying (sometimes uselessly) to track down the why when and where of them. There are certainly Mk3s with LiftTheDot fasteners applied post-production, but a Mk4 with a screw, that's unusual. Go back and buy me one! I mean it.

Thanks for the replies. It is one of those frustrating shops which is never open...My wife saw an item in the window this week, left a telephone message and they never got back. We only passed by accident this afternoon and I had to pull up quick as we saw a light on.

I will go back, but I am off to Germany for a week...

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The LTD studs sometimes came loose and worked their way out eventually. This was fixed by addition of the securing bolt. I would imagine that is what happened with the helmet you mention.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast