Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk ii 1941

Article about: Picked this one up. Only my second British Helmet. The other being a 1945 Mk IV Turtle. My knowledge of these Mk II's is minimal. It's missing the chinstrap buckle but otherwise it looks ok.

MAP
    ?

Default Mk ii 1941

Picked this one up. Only my second British Helmet. The other being a 1945 Mk IV Turtle.

My knowledge of these Mk II's is minimal. It's missing the chinstrap buckle but otherwise it looks ok. Was $50. So if I made an error it won't break the bank.

Size is 6 1/4 and maker is AMC. Dated 1941.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks

Michael

Mk ii 1941Mk ii 1941Mk ii 1941Mk ii 1941
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very good textured paint army MKII, and for a good price.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anon View Post
    Very good textured paint army MKII, and for a good price.
    Thanks Jerry.

I was looking last night and saw dealer prices of $150ish range so thought I would take a gamble. Will have to read through some threads here to brush up on these.

Anything unique about the textured paint? Or is this fairly common?

M

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Textured was the norm for army helmets and for the home guard though the latter were mostly of the home front type of lower grade steel, whilst other home front helmets usually had smooth paint. Early army helmets were textured on the exterior and smooth inside, but from sometime prior to your type they are textured inside and out. your is a nice lid with MKII liner and MKIII chinstrap, the latter introduced in 41 the same year as your helmet was made. The liner will probably be maker marked and dated on one of the cross pieces.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Hi Map, the buckle is there, it's incorporated in the way it fits onto the chin strap lug. Is there a date/maker name on the liner?

MAP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Map, the buckle is there, it's incorporated in the way it fits onto the chin strap lug. Is there a date/maker name on the liner?
    Sadly I just checked. Liner is dated 1949. There is a 2 over the 1949. Size 6 1/4.

Maker is DPEC.

Guess I will have to look for a 1941 liner.........

I see the buckle now. Thanks!

M

Very nice buy Michael,dont see many textured Army mk2's on your side of the pond for that kind of price,and in great used condition too,i like it a lot and well done indeed...........

?

The reason I asked about the liner date, as I had my suspicions that it was refurbished post war.
    The way the paint looks is a give away to the helmet being stripped of it's WW2 paint & resprayed.
    It sort of has a mottled look, & or, white appearance.Plus also the white painted size on the cruciform pad 6 1/4, I'm not too keen on.
    But as a WW2 reissued helmet during the late 40's early 50's is a nice example.

MAP
    ?

Thanks everyone. For $50 I'm satisfied. Will keep looking for an unmessed one. Was an impulse buy. Plus I can always return but think I'll keep to fill the gap in my collection untill the next one comes around

Also why I asked about the liner because the visible markings are not the norm, but I liked the paint. Still good for the price paid.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast