MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk III 1944 dated helmet.

Article about: Here I have a MkIII helmet manufactured by BMB 1944 (Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd). The helmet before I came to own it has had the paint sanded off to show the date mark, I can just make out the

Default Mk III 1944 dated helmet.

Here I have a MkIII helmet manufactured by BMB 1944 (Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd). The helmet before I came to own it has had the paint sanded off to show the date mark, I can just make out the BMB maker mark but does not show on pics. The helmet retains it's MkIII elasticated chin strap. The liner is a CCL (Charles Collett Ltd) and is dated 1943 and is a size 7. The paint is textured, non reflective and is a green khaki colour not the dark brown khaki seen in the ETO. These MkIII helmets were manufactured from 1943 to 1945 before being replaced by the MkIV. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk III 1944 dated helmet.   Mk III 1944 dated helmet.  

Mk III 1944 dated helmet.   Mk III 1944 dated helmet.  

Mk III 1944 dated helmet.  

?

I had one a long time ago but sold it for next to nothing. They don't seem to be rare unless you want one with the year of manufacture easy to see and that's exactly what's on my shopping list. One day ......

Tony

I see them all the time at militaria fairs but they are either over priced, been messed with or as you say hard to see the date and maker. I would like one with a 44 date and the brown khaki, I have one but with the 45 date.

?

Nice khaki green Mk3, a bit harder to find than the dark brown ones.

I think these MKIII's are underrated myself, I only have the one which is also a 1944 lid. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk III 1944 dated helmet.   Mk III 1944 dated helmet.  

I did read somewhere can't remember that the khaki green ones where ear marked for the Far East hence the colour. Does anyone know if that's true?

?

When the Mk3 started to be produced in 1943 khaki green was the standard colour that was used on helmets.

So when these helmets were issued there were units wearing khaki green and the khaki brown? I wonder what the reasoning was to change the colour?

Here is my example, though I have not resorted to sanding it back to find the markings, only have the dated liner but it is the earlier greenish type.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk III 1944 dated helmet.  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

My example dated 1944 made by RO & CO and a 1943 liner made by FFL (I still need to get my own pictures for it) and most likely used post WWII as it has been repainted with a unit marking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast