Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

MK III Mark 3 Turtle helmet

Article about: Hi guys been a while since I have posted a helmet that wasn't an M1 but this one for the price was a steal. I can see the stamp of BMB 367 (Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd) 1944 MKlll on the helmet

Default MK III Mark 3 Turtle helmet

Hi guys been a while since I have posted a helmet that wasn't an M1 but this one for the price was a steal. I can see the stamp of BMB 367 (Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd) 1944 MKlll on the helmet and on the liner TTC (Teddy Toy Co Ltd) 11 1944 size 7 1/4. The only thing with this helmet is that the paint is quite shiny and not like my other Mk lll, so post war repaint? I have seen a few of these Mk llls and Mk lVs with this shiny repaint and wonder why they did this? Would it be worth trying to strip this shiny layer to see if the original paint is intact underneath? My philosophy is to leave as is but curious to see if the original paint is intact. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK III Mark 3 Turtle helmet   MK III Mark 3 Turtle helmet  

MK III Mark 3 Turtle helmet   MK III Mark 3 Turtle helmet  

MK III Mark 3 Turtle helmet  

I wouldn't touch it....leave it as it is..unless of course the price was sooooo low you feel you can afford to lose it. I think it's a nice helmet and perfect as it is....for what it's worth......

Quote by Composite View Post
    I wouldn't touch it....leave it as it is..unless of course the price was sooooo low you feel you can afford to lose it. I think it's a nice helmet and perfect as it is....for what it's worth......
    £40 I picked it up for which I thought was an absolute bargain in the condition it's in. I'm inclined to say leave it as is but still wonder about the glossy repaint.

?

Sometimes these Mk3's are over painted olive drab, or the original textured paint is completely stripped & they are repainted olive drab giving it a smooth finish.
    I think this colour was used from about 1944, so any equipment looking a bit grubby after a few years use (1945- 50's) was given a good slapping on with this paint.