Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Mk1*

Article about: A bit battered & bruised, but this Mk1* looks to be an early one. Rimless, Mk1 liner dated 1937 & made by HELMETS Ltd, being the first year they made Mk1 liners. Mk1 chin strap lugs

SMP
    ?

You've got far too many Aaron !

( You know I like this one ! )

Steve

?

I think you are right, but then again.....

?

Although very different from a normal Mk1*,I don't think there is any other category it can go under.
    Whether the unit didn't have the right equipment, or there was not enough time before shipping out. This Mk1 has only had an Mk2 liner fitted & not the full monty of strip, repaint, new Mk1/2 chin strap lugs, Mk1/2 chin strap, & Mk1/2 liner.
    The leather strap goes into the dome of the helmet & under the Mk2 liner, & most likely under the nut & bolt too, bit like the Mk1.
    The liner is dated 1939 & has the man's service number, Royal Scots Fusiliers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

SMP
    ?

Great helmet, Aaron. ( Bargain price ! )

I still think it might me the helmet of a old Home Guard veteran . Hopefully we will find out one day.

Congrats !

?

I’ve finally managed to find a MK1* for sale that coincided with me having some cash spare. It’s not the best, many dents, paint loss and the chinstrap has had it but I’m happy. The liner was dry and cracked but has come up ok after a good clean and being wiped with linseed oil, it's marked Vero 1938 and the helmet has the Firth & Sons steel supplier’s stamp FS 107.

The last time I saw one for sale was on Aaron’s site around Christmas time, it was also a rimless example but not having the cash meant going without. I don’t understand why they removed the rims or perhaps this is one of the later ones that had a rim that’s since been lost.

There are many different colours shown in this thread so I’d be grateful if someone could tell me if the paint is pukka pre-war or if it’s a later repaint.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk1*   Mk1*  

Mk1*   Mk1*  

?

The inside paint is what you would expect,the outside I think is ok too.Don't worry about the chin strap, that's a Mk1 strap & bloody hard to find,liner looks good too.
    A great find.

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The inside paint is what you would expect,the outside I think is ok too.Don't worry about the chin strap, that's a Mk1 strap & bloody hard to find,liner looks good too.
    A great find.
    Thanks Aaron! The paint on the outside is the same as inside, just looks different in the photos as well as the outside being dirty with some rust.

The liner was in one of those dry, cracking conditions but after a clean and several applications of linseed it came up a treat. It still isn't as pliable as it was when new but can be played about with without fear of bits breaking off.

SMP
    ?

Nice MKI* ! Not often seen

Quote by ynot View Post
    I’ve finally managed to find a MK1* for sale that coincided with me having some cash spare. It’s not the best, many dents, paint loss and the chinstrap has had it but I’m happy. The liner was dry and cracked but has come up ok after a good clean and being wiped with linseed oil, it's marked Vero 1938 and the helmet has the Firth & Sons steel supplier’s stamp FS 107.

The last time I saw one for sale was on Aaron’s site around Christmas time, it was also a rimless example but not having the cash meant going without. I don’t understand why they removed the rims or perhaps this is one of the later ones that had a rim that’s since been lost.

There are many different colours shown in this thread so I’d be grateful if someone could tell me if the paint is pukka pre-war or if it’s a later repaint.

Tony
    Great to see you got a MKI* Tony, it took me ages to get one and then I ended up with two in a short time.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I only started getting more than a passing interest in WWII era Commonwealth helmets after joining this forum and seeing what was on offer, and not being in the UK makes it difficult to find good, unusual examples like some shown here so I was over the moon finding a MKI*, a helmet I never knew existed until just over a year ago.

I'll be on the hunt for another now.

Tony

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast