Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

MK1* Australian 8th Battalion

Article about: Ive waited my whole life to get a Battalion Marked Aussie lid..i recently found this one with an WW1Australian 8th Battalion patch double decal as it should be, ive only ever seen 4 or 5 of

SMP
    ?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Is the chinstrap the remains of the original WWI, it looks as if it probably is, and I know some of the early MKI*'s used them and the original lugs and only later did these parts get changed.
    The leather straps pass through the bales in a WW1 lid, they don't attach to them like these do. ( except Type B and War Office patterns)

Quote by SMP View Post
    The leather straps pass through the bales in a WW1 lid, they don't attach to them like these do. ( except Type B and War Office patterns)
    like my one yes?

Quote by SMP View Post
    I know that, having a few MKI's in my collection over the years and I still have two of them, but cutting & refitting the strap would not be hard and if you look at the buckle it appears to be the same shape as the WWI type.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

SMP
    ?

I know that, having a few MKI's in my collection over the years and I still have two of them, but cutting & refitting the strap would not be hard and if you look at the buckle it appears to be the same shape as the WWI type.
    So, do we think this is standard Australian MKI* chinstrap arrangement ( factory/depot done ), or an individual modification ?

Quote by SMP View Post
    So, do we think this is standard Australian MKI* chinstrap arrangement ( factory/depot done ), or an individual modification ?
    As already mentioned, I think Aussie used MKI* are so uncommon, I certainly could not answer that question as to what was standard for them.

Do you know how is it done on early UK MKI* when they reuse the WWI chinstraps and lugs and only change the liners?

This one of Aaron's is one of those I assume, done early with the original lugs and strap and only the liner changed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK1* Australian 8th Battalion  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

SMP
    ?

I think Aaron's helmet represents a private modification, perhaps by a WW1 veteran for use in WW2. The MKII liner rules out an early conversion IMO. Maybe Aaron would like to comment ?

We know so little about UK MKI*s, and even less about Australian ones. It could be that there is no such thing as a factory modified Australian MKI* . I was hoping one of our Australian members would know more.

SMP
    ?

As already mentioned, I think Aussie used MKI* are so uncommon, I certainly could not answer that question as to what was standard for them.

Do you know how is it done on early UK MKI* when they reuse the WWI chinstraps and lugs and only change the liners?

I believe it was the fitting of MKI chinstrap ,bales, and liner that makes a MKI become a MKI*

?

If these Mk1 helmets were refitted at unit level to become an Mk1*, then there could easily be slight differences.
    All down to their own interpretation, and monies available,materials and also time, whence September 1939 came.

Here's another with just the liner replaced, an Mk1 liner dated 1937.
    One of at least five or six Mk1's done in this way that I have seen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK1* Australian 8th Battalion   MK1* Australian 8th Battalion  

Quote by SMP View Post
    I think Aaron's helmet represents a private modification, perhaps by a WW1 veteran for use in WW2. The MKII liner rules out an early conversion IMO. Maybe Aaron would like to comment ?

We know so little about UK MKI*s, and even less about Australian ones. It could be that there is no such thing as a factory modified Australian MKI* . I was hoping one of our Australian members would know more.
    There is nothing i can find or anyone ive ever met who knows much about Australian MK1* at all. When i was a kid, the old blokes (WW1 guys) would just say that their equipment was reused at the start of WW2, but never go into detail. Its something that needs a real study. What makes this so rare is that it can be attributed to Australia, as we only had British helmets, you can never normally say 100 percent it was an Australian used one, that is why im so excited..Ive got photos of 4 WW1 Australia helmets now, but the only historical mention was in late 1917 when permission was sort and given for the painting of markers on the front and back of helmets to distinguish them in battle, but not battalion marked, so theres about 3 mysteries going on with this one helmet. Its the only MK1 * Aussie i know of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2