Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MK1 Brodie

Article about: I need a mixture of advice and information. I've had this a while and have recently decided I want to collect each British standard MK military issued Helmet. This has a top fixing made of b

Default MK1 Brodie

I need a mixture of advice and information. I've had this a while and have recently decided I want to collect each British standard MK military issued Helmet. This has a top fixing made of brass, unable to find answers as to why it has this type of fixing? It's obviously had some type of paintwork on the front and it's been scraped off. Square area and the remnants are white, what could it have resembled? Would it be worth my while buying a repro liner and chinstrap? If so, how could I keep the original fixing, as it isn't a bolt. Thanks for replies in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK1 Brodie   MK1 Brodie  

MK1 Brodie   MK1 Brodie  

MK1 Brodie   MK1 Brodie  

Certainly is an odd one. I'm not much of a helmet expert, but I've never seen a bolt like that before. Looks almost like a rivet of some kind.

B.B.

Do you think it's worth getting a repro liner and chinstrap? Normally I'm extremely particular and prefer everything original.

If you can remove the fitting without damaging it, a repro liner would be fine for display purposes. Repros also have the bonus of being 'modern' sized, meaning they'll fit better on a display head.
    If you really want an original one, they can be sourced fairly easily, I'd imagine.

B.B.

I would prefer an original MK1 liner, but have been unable to find one. There is a sure that sells repro liners with the chinstrap, but they look to new.

Ah, I'd imagine the Mk1 liner will be a fair bit harder to acquire. Mk2 liners are all over the place on the likes of eBay, but I wouldn't know where to start with the earlier ones.

B.B.

NCA
    ?

That's not a MK1...or a MK2. See the rim is turned over, on mk2's they are a separate piece of metal. I thinks its a private purchase/home front lid. Nice all the same.

Thanks for your reply, so would that explain the brass fixture? I presume due to the way the top fixing has been put in place, it would have originally had a WW1 liner? If so, what would your opinion be on putting a repro liner and chinstrap in?

?

Quote by NCA View Post
    That's not a MK1...or a MK2. See the rim is turned over, on mk2's they are a separate piece of metal. I thinks its a private purchase/home front lid. Nice all the same.
    ... or Indian made MkII, like mine Indian
    Piotrek