Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner

Article about: Hi all, I am posting this for a friend who got it from a carboot. I believe that it is a raw edge MK1 rather than a later MK1 that has lost its rim as I think the paint might be the original

Default MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner

Hi all, I am posting this for a friend who got it from a carboot. I believe that it is a raw edge MK1 rather than a later MK1 that has lost its rim as I think the paint might be the original apple green and it goes all the way to the edge and so does the characteristic ripple effect (although it is hard to photograph). I assume it has been used for civil defence in WW2 due to 1940 dated MK2 liner and the strange home made chinstrap. Any thoughts on this lid would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner   MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner  

MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner   MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner  

MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner  

?

Well, I think that is a really nice helmet, unfortunately there is not that much, if any information on this type of helmet. Is it a Mk1*, or not? A proper Mk1* has been repainted, new liner, chin strap lugs. This just has a new liner, (for then anyway). The chin strap is one I have seen before on home front helmets, so maybe it has been used by someone in the home guard. Or a factory worker who has altered his WW1 helmet.
    Here's mine, still has original paint, chin strap, & lugs. A service number for the Scots Fusilier's is on the inside of the liner.
    What are the letters next to the numbers on the inside rim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner   MK1 Rimless Helmet With 1940 MK2 Liner  

SMP
    ?

That's a very nice War Office Pattern shell. It never had a rim. The apple green paint is original 1915/16. As Aaron said, it can't really be considered a MKI* because it has clearly never been back to the factory for repainting and re-fitting. My guess is an old warrior re-used his own WW1 lid in the LDV/Home Guard.

Rare helmet !

Thanks for the comments guys. It did come with the name of an RAMC officer who apparently used it in WW1, although as always, buy the item, not the story. I had thought that if it was his it was relined and used for CD purposes in ww2 as SMP has said.

Oh, and the code is BS 36

?

BS, W. Beardmore & Co Ltd. Jan 1916-19.

Thanks Tinlid.