MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk2 British/US odd bod.

Article about: Sorry for the bad pictures (taken a long time ago & no longer have the helmet) An American M1917 I take it? but with a British liner & nut & bolt.Plus also the adjusta pad chin s

?

Default Mk2 British/US odd bod.

Sorry for the bad pictures (taken a long time ago & no longer have the helmet)
    An American M1917 I take it? but with a British liner & nut & bolt.Plus also the adjusta pad chin strap, these were used on the civilian protective helmet, which like this American helmet had chin strap lugs not user friendly with the Mk2 chin strap.
    What I can remember about it it all look original to it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 British/US odd bod.   Mk2 British/US odd bod.  

Mk2 British/US odd bod.   Mk2 British/US odd bod.  

Mk2 British/US odd bod.  

Hi Aaron, that is unusual, I cannot say that I have ever seen a chinstrap attached in this way before. I bet there were a few "scratches" caused by those over hanging metal pins!! Leon.

?

You've got M1917A1 shell, I suppose.
    Piotrek

?

Thanks, an M1917A1.
    The Adjusta pad when seen, are always on an CPH, some enterprising company must have seen an opening as the CPH was issued without an strap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 British/US odd bod.   Mk2 British/US odd bod.  

Mk2 British/US odd bod.  

How about this then,no sooner has Aaron posted the M17A up with Brit style liner,this one's on now with 30 minutes to go,its a 1940 McCord M17A shell with yes another Brit liner,whats going on peeps...............certainly nothing written on the US side of production,all McCord made M17A Helmets had the 2 piece raised brass buckle and J hook and a light leather 3/4 piece liner with oval pad in centre and string tie...............

Forgot to add if anyone finds the answer do please post up as im very curious with regards to whether McCords may of some sort contract directly with Britain and produced and sent un-linered shells across but why thought we had plenty of mk2 shell makers!!!!!!!!

?

As far as I was concerned it all looked original, & was done for British home front use only. Your picture only adds to what I thought.
    Same adjusta pad, plus the liner looks the type used on home front helmets, paper size lable, & the cruciform pad riveted to the liner.
    Just like buses....

?

Has anyone considered these could have been put together as part of the lend lease agreement just throwing that out there.

Regards Mark

Was there a severe shortage with MK2's Aaron?I suppose with the formation of the Home guard consisting of around 1 million men there may of been a desperate need for extra Helmets,are you 100% these are wartime Homefront liners and not postwar Belgium types?

Belgian liners would not be marked size 7 Jake.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast