Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mk2 helmet

Article about: Mk2 with no stamp markings on the shell or the liner and believe me I’ve looked everywhere using a torch. The only markings that can be seen are on the chinstrap bales but due to the the siz

Quote by Composite View Post
    I have a number catalogued as “no rim stamps evident”.....they MIGHT be there somewhere but I spend a sad amount of time side illuminating, magnifying glassing etc etc.....I tell myself they’ve GOT to be there...somewhere...and then give up. F&L put a sneaky stamp at the rear and not the side..

As for the screws/nuts, I’ve given up trying to understand the unofficial variants......

Sorry, this doesn’t help much, if at all...but I for one am not surprised by your findings.
    These helmet makers were not thinking about us future collectors when they were knocking out these helmets, how selfish

?

I always thought these with non painted Mk2 chin strap lugs, and this type of rivet for holding the lugs in place were private purchase home front helmets. They never/or seem to have no maker names/dates, sometimes the liners are not maker name/dates, just the size.
    Are any parts of the helmet magnetic, helmet, rivets, liner retention nut and bolt?
    Last edited by tinlid; 05-22-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I always thought these with non painted Mk2 chin strap lugs, and this type of rivet for holding the lugs in place were private purchase home front helmets. They never/or seem to have maker names/dates, sometimes the liners are not maker name/dates, just the size.
    Are any parts of the helmet magnetic, helmet, rivets, liner retention nut and bolt?
    Just got my trusty fridge magnet out and it sticks to all the metal parts of the helmet

?

Yep, home front private purchase.

I have an nearly identical helmet, only marked 'II / 1939' on the chinstrap bales and nowhere else that I can see. It has a 1939 dated liner I think is original. There is too much paint covering the spotwelds to ID it for sure, but it might be an F & L too. It has the big liner screw and nothing is magnetic.

Mk2 helmet

Mk2 helmet

Mk2 helmet

Mk2 helmet

Mk2 helmet

Mk2 helmet

?

A nice early army Mk2.

Thanks; would like to know the manufacturer for sure though. I'll look at the welds in daylight.
    Last edited by earlymb; 05-22-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2