Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mk2 Royal Navy, Commander

Article about: Here's a heavy textured Mk2 with COM DR to the front for commander, of the Royal navy. At one time the sand textured repaint was very thick but quite a lot has come off,but the inside is sti

Interesting helmets with intriguing markings.
    I don't know if it helps but the RN abbreviation for Commander (originally Master & Commander ie the officer commanding a ship too small to be rated for a Post Captain but too large to be commanded by a Lieutenant) is Cdr (Army equiv is Lt Col) and the abbrieviation for Commodore (officer commanding a group of ships eg flottila or squadron) is Cdre (Army equiv is Brig) yet the yellow insignia on the 2nd lid is that of a Navy Lt (Army equiv Capt). See how this is intriguing?

I don't know what COM Dr might mean but the yellow marking seems to be CDR's Mate (?), maybe some shipboard "in joke" or banter?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks for that extra info Mark, if only we could find out more about our stuff we have.
    Anyway here's some pictures of the Mk2 HSRAC being used post war by the navy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 Royal Navy, Commander   Mk2 Royal Navy, Commander  

Attached Images Attached Images Mk2 Royal Navy, Commander 

Quote by ynot View Post
    I meant in general Aaron, the MKII helmet is a whole new world for me but I'm sure I saw one recently, I only saw it pictured online so it may have been a refurb MKI.

Tony
    Many variations of the MKII in this thread Tony including some with textured paint for the Army or Home Guard.

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Many variations of the MKII in this thread Tony including some with textured paint for the Army or Home Guard.

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Thanks Jerry,

I've looked at that thread before but never took the textured paint into account, I'll have a better look this time. I would never have thought there were so many variations for the Brit MKII and I'm so glad I'm picking up on it now.

Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2