Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

Article about: I have always wondered why these helmets are nearly always in un-issued condition, & reading the information that Mick supplied now know why. These S.A helmets were made from 1940-45, ro

?

I think this is a home made one, whether at the time or later to inhance the price.
    Please show any that you have Rene.

Here's the two I dragged half way across the world
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-16-2019 at 09:46 PM.

?

Hi, guys

I've just picked up a very nice SA helmet

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

?

Some nice helmets being shown, keep it up

?

Morning Aaron here are the two examples from my collection the one has been discussed here before and has been painted a service khaki brown I am still undecided on this particular Mk II as to when it was painted post war and or was it one of the helmets painted brown by Messrs that was destined to see service in the Italian Campaign SA Mk II thoughts and opinions
    Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.
    The other is an interesting recent pick up that Mads helped me source late last year with a 1942 dated Jager Rand liner the net as you can see has seen better days but it does display nice all the same I may replace the chin strap though as I have a couple of spare ones kicking around
    Sorry the sellers images are not the best I have not had a chance to take my own yet.

Regards Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  Mk2 South African Union Defence Force. 

The only picture of the one I used to own, long gone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A South African Mk II, Jager Rand liner. The interesting feature is that it looks like the shell has originally been painted green, instead of having been overpainted. Any evidences of South African Mk IIs having left their factory painted in green? Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

?

Helmets were first painted in the standard UDF green, then a darker UDF green and later in a desert sand or those helmets destined for troops in the Italian campaign, in a brown.
    But it must be remembered these helmets were refurbished by many nations post war, & without any hard proof about paint scheme's we are all in the dark.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Helmets were first painted in the standard UDF green, then a darker UDF green and later in a desert sand or those helmets destined for troops in the Italian campaign, in a brown.
    But it must be remembered these helmets were refurbished by many nations post war, & without any hard proof about paint scheme's we are all in the dark.
    Tinlid, I have finally read the whole of your post and found out that - as you stated - Mk II helmets were originally painted green. It looks like this specific specimen has never been overpainted, therefore I guess it could be one of the original batch of green painted helmets? Because otherwise it would have been sanded and newly painted.... and it does not really gives one that kind of feeling... still, everything is possible, of course!

?

The liner looks like it is dated 1940, if so & is original to the helmet would be one of the first ones made.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast