Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

Article about: I have always wondered why these helmets are nearly always in un-issued condition, & reading the information that Mick supplied now know why. These S.A helmets were made from 1940-45, ro

One of my WWII SA Mk IIs: this has been very carefully (airbrushed?) repainted in green, the previous sand paint can be seen where the green layer has chipped off. The liner is dated 1942.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.   Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.   Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

and a roughly camouflaged Mk II helmet badged to the 6th South African Armoured Division. The green paint has been applied on the sand paint by brush, along an irregular striped pattern. I guess it could have been used during the training in Egypt or the very first phase of the fighting in Italy, since the camouflage scheme does not really fit into a temperate climate environment...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.   Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

Two old pics of some other SA Mk IIs I have got in my collection. The green one sports the device of the 1st South African Division, and IIRC has got a 1940 dated liner, the second one is badged to the 6th South African Armoured Division, and the liner is dated 1942

?

You've got a serious S.A helmet collection going on there, more detailed pictures would be good if you get time.
    Thanks for showing

Quote by tinlid View Post
    You've got a serious S.A helmet collection going on there, more detailed pictures would be good if you get time.
    Thanks for showing
    tinlid, you're welcome! Alas this are just scans of some very old pics taken with an analogical camera some time ago. Helmets are dry stored in my basement and hopefully time will come when I will be able to recover them and take decent, more detailed pics....

Pictures from my archive, regardinf tow other SA Mk II helmets in my collection. The first one is badged to the Witwatersrand Rifles /De La Rey Combined Regiment (battalion), liner possibly dated 1942 (IIRC), and the second one has been found in my hometown, Florence, and is badged either either to the 1st/6th Field Regiment, Cape Field Artillery or - much more likely- to the 1st/11th Anti-Tank Regiment, SAA. I can not be sure because if I recall correctly the liner is dated 1943. Please take notice of the extremely rudimentary chin strap on the WR/DLR helmet.

SMP
    ?

A very early UDF helmet from 1940. Jager Rand Liner. Note the original UDF green paint and early "clipped" chinstrap lugs with split pins. Outside has been camouflaged with sand mixed with tan paint. The heavy patina and wear suggests this may have seen desert action, possibly with the 8th Army, though of course this is mere speculation.

?

Thanks for adding it to this thread Steve.

?

Like Steve's an early UDF Mk2 with clipped chin strap lugs, mine with a standard rivet & not split. Green painted inside & out, textured on the outside & onto the inside rim,smooth after that.(this effect was done by dabbing the brush to give it a stipple look)
    An Jager Rand 1940 dated liner.

SMP
    ?

That last one is a beauty, Aaron. It can sit on my shelf anytime !

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast