Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

mk3 helmet with early liner

Article about: The liner in this helmet looks like the early type fitted to mk2 helmets. Can anyone say if they were fitted to mk3 helmets as well? perhaps reused liners?

Default mk3 helmet with early liner

The liner in this helmet looks like the early type fitted to mk2 helmets. Can anyone say if they were fitted to mk3 helmets as well? perhaps reused liners?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mk3 helmet with early liner  

Default Re: mk3 helmet with early liner

I know the Canadians used the liners from their MkII helmets, but I'm not sure if the British did the same thing.

Looks like a nice looking helmet...any chance of a pic of the whole thing?

Dale

?

Hi,
    Pretty sure the British did the same, using the liner from there old MkII's, don't know how long this went on for, before they were issued with both the MkIII liner & the helmet together.
    Aaron

Thanks for the info guys. I thought liners must have been reused. I cant see any markings on the helmet itself as its got sand textured paint inside and out. The liner is marked J.C.S. heres a pic of the whole thing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mk3 helmet with early liner  

?

Hi,
    Looks like a Rubery Owen & Co helmet, by the way the rim is welded at the rear of the helmet. If you look carefully the manufacture name will be horizontal with the rim somewhere on the inside, but have seen pics of it on the outside.
    Aaron

Thanks for that! try as I might I cant find any stamps through the paint and I don't want to take any paint off atall as I like these lids as they are. Some people repaint them but I think that spoils them (just my opinion). Heres a pic of the seam. its spotwelded inside and a gap left in the join. I owned another mk3 shell that I regret selling. It had a welded shut joint in the seam it was a darker green, almost black with a much smoother textured finish.

?

Hi,
    They do vary some what in colour & texture, here's some pics of the welds, the smooth one is a BMB helmet, the spot welded one is the RO & Co. If you look at the BMB one, there is no paint at all on the inside, never has been.
    You have a nice MkIII there
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mk3 helmet with early liner   mk3 helmet with early liner  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi,
    They do vary some what in colour & texture, here's some pics of the welds, the smooth one is a BMB helmet, the spot welded one is the RO & Co. If you look at the BMB one, there is no paint at all on the inside, never has been.
    You have a nice MkIII there
    Aaron
    So What Did F&L do to the rim?
    Last edited by Steelhead10; 02-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.

?

F&L & RO&Co were the same rim join, butted up & stamped.
    This F&L made Mk3 has the maker stamp on the inside between the chin strap lug & the front of the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mk3 helmet with early liner   mk3 helmet with early liner  

mk3 helmet with early liner