Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk3 with original net

Article about: Trouble is I don't have the OD Mk3's anymore,when I get another one I'll put it up against the Khaki green one. I don't know how many or for how long the khaki green painted Mk3's were made

?

Default Mk3 with original net

Here's a khaki green painted Mk3 which I think the first issues must have been painted before the more common dark brown.
    It has it's original light green net which has one or two breaks & the knots near to crown of the helmet have been worn flat by constant use. Inside paint & liner are in very good condition as is the chin strap, due to the heavy textured paint inside the date/maker name are not readable but it is a BMB made shell.
    The liner is dated 1944, made by CCL & is a size 6 3/4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk3 with original net   Mk3 with original net  

Mk3 with original net   Mk3 with original net  

Mk3 with original net  

Default Re: Mk3 with original net

very nice tinlid ,she's a beaut
    Regards James

Hi Tinlid,

did you pick this one up from Gumtree recently? If so I was looking at this myself and posted it on a thread here. It's very nice but I decided on keeping the money for a really good Mk 2. For some reason the chap on Gumtree wouldn't remove the net for a pic and it kind of put me off.

love this helmet wish I could afford it.

?

Hi Canti44, Yes it was on Gumtree, I was expecting it to be painted dark brown when it came,(pictures not great) & was very surprised that it was khaki green, & again surprised that the net was original to the helmet. Just lucky I guess.

Hi tinlid,

yes I was very close to buying it myself and had been doing a bit of research prior on here. It looked brown to me too and I was a bit annoyed that the seller wouldn't take the net off for a better picture of the paintwork. Good for you for taking the plunge, you've got a really nice example there and one similar just sold on e-bay for £230!

Cheers,

Ian.

?

I know during the early to mid 50's the paint was changed to olive drab & when I opened the box my heart sank as I thought it was that colour, but luckily it was khaki green. That one that went for £230 on ebay, I wasn't 100% sure that it was khaki green, but might have been a well used helmet painted olive drab.

How much difference is there in the two colours? I suppose without handling the variations it's almost impossible to tell from photographs unless they are taken side-by-side in daylight. I'm presuming that the khaki is a little brighter and the olive-drab a tad more 'earthy'?

?

Here's an olive drab Mk3 against an dark brown painted Mk3. The one with the RA flash is painted OD outside but still has the original dark brown inside.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk3 with original net   Mk3 with original net  

Brilliant display tinlid, thanks for posting them.

Ok, so you have a brown Mk3 next to an olive-drab Mk3. Can you put your newly-acquired khaki Mk3 next to those two so I can get a good picture please? Correct me if I'm wrong but originally in 1944 they were given to assault troops for the D-Day landings and painted khaki. Soon after that they were painted dark brown, and after the war ended painted olive-drab?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast