Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MK3 Painted markings

Article about: Hello all, I have a mk3 "turtle helmet" that is an untouched original. It is dated 1944 and has the original dark green paint. On the inside there is a rather large "H3"

Default MK3 Painted markings

Hello all, I have a mk3 "turtle helmet" that is an untouched original. It is dated 1944 and has the original dark green paint. On the inside there is a rather large "H3" painted in red. Does anyone know what this type of marking could mean? Thanks in advance

Could we have some pictures please?

Well at a guess from the perspective of a former soldier, without a picture and given that the mark is inside of the helmet I assume that it was not meant to be any kind of visible designator when the helmet was worn. More likely I suspect this is some kind of "ownership" mark but not a personal one. Rather it is probably a sub-unit indication using a radio call sign ie "Hotel three" so, the "Hotel" would indicate perhaps a company / squadron / battery etc and the three a platoon / troop etc (other permutations are available ). Or am I just making it up ?

Regards

Mark

?

Like this one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MK3 Painted markings   MK3 Painted markings  

It is that exact one. Would the marking be post war or wartime. Also would it be a military marking?

It will be a military marking. I would tend to think post war, but no way to prove it.

Mark has really covered it in his post.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!