Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet

Article about: Hi fella's, I have seen one or two of this particular factory's MKII helmets come up for sale over the last few months but they have all been a touch pricey! This one however was reasonable

Default MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet

Hi fella's, I have seen one or two of this particular factory's MKII helmets come up for sale over the last few months but they have all been a touch pricey! This one however was reasonable so I have just bought it. It looks to be in good order , I do not know what date it is yet as the "ad" did not state it. A quick "google" of trade marks brought up that "BATTERY SYMBLEM" was a Birmingham factory that made batteries and metal components. I hope you like it, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet   MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet 

?

Hi Leon, I posted one up about a year ago, as far as I know the company used about 3000 helmets for their staff. There is a dealer who bought most of them up,but a lot of them are in poor condition.
    Yours looks like mine, a N0.2C, here's a bit of info.
    The name Battery comes from: "Nearly a century ago the founder of the firm established in Digbeth, Birmingham, a business for the manufacture of Brass Pans, which were raised from the flat sheet by what was termed a 'Battery ' of Tilt hammers. The process was called the Battery process, and the pans were spoken of as ' Battery ' or Battery Pans.
    The helmet being a No.2C is typical for use in a factory on the home front. The liner is dated 1940, the shell date stamp is missing but was made by JSS.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet   MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet  

Thanks for that additional information mate, it's most appreciated! I did notice that the "trade mark" expired in 2005 so I guess the company no longer exists? Maybe a pile of these were found in the basement of the factory when it closed? Leon.

Interesting lid!...

?

Here's one of their adverts.
    Attached Images Attached Images MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet 

?

Yes, a nice helmet and I wonder how many are still hidden away somewhere in factory storerooms.

What's a No. 2C helmet? Does it refer to those with holes punched through the side of the brim?

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    Yes, a nice helmet and I wonder how many are still hidden away somewhere in factory storerooms.

What's a No. 2C helmet? Does it refer to those with holes punched through the side of the brim?

Tony
    Yes Tony, the letter refers to the number of holes which denote the grade of steel used in these home front helmets.

MKII No.2 1A with one hole = made of standard manganese steel that has been rejected for general use
    MKII No.2 1B with two holes = made of mild steel strip
    MKII No.2 1C with three holes = made of mild steel plate
    MKII No.2 1D with four holes = made of mild steel.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks very much Jerry!

As the memory isn't what it once was, I'll save that info for future reference.

Tony

Hi fella's, it's arrived and is not in to bad a condition. The number on the inside of mine looks like silver paint or possibly pen! The steel is another JSS as above with date obscured by the chinstrap lugs, but this liner is dated 1939. Leon.

MKII "BATTERY SYMBLEM" Factory helmet  

very nice leon and a very intact decal ,its in safe hands now for sure i notice with the worn paintwork you can see a slight fluting to the shell pressing ,something i havent really noticed before on the mk 11's ,another great lid for the shelf mate
    Regards James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast