Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet

Article about: It's interesting. Someone saw a potential need and an opportunity to produce something, and got it right. A bit chilling really! I hope these helmets saved some lives.. Brian.

?

Default MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet

Cromwell made these protector helmets for the general public to buy for there own protection, this one is called Bentafex protector helmet. So I'm not sure if Bentalls have purchased these helmets from Cromwell & put there own labels in to sell through there store, or have had there own ones made.
    Have seen 3 types of chin straps with these helmets so far, this one, the normal MkII chin strap plus one which looks like it is made from the same material as the liner.
    The two I've got are not dated, they just have the size.
    Please show yours if you have one to compare.
    Bentalls the store are still going today.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet   MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet  

MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet   MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet  

MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet

Hi, Aaron
    Thanks for sharing
    I have never seen one of these.
    Is it made of separate pieces and then riveted together?

?

It's made of 2 pieces, 1 large part which is riveted at the back & the other which is the top part. There's also another type like this helmet but has the top part made of metal & was made/called ACME

Hello, very nice Helmet. I´m looking for one in good condition since a few years. But i couldn´t find any of these Helmets in Internet .
    Here´s some info in Spanish about this Helmet: CASCO CROMWELL FIBRA

Cheers.

Hi.

Referred to this thread by Ade.
    A friend of mine found this for me at a jumble sale. Wanted some info and now I know. Thanks.
    The lid is dated 1938 on the strap mounting.

Brian.MkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmetMkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmetMkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmetMkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmetMkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmetMkII Cromwell/Bentafex protector helmet

?

I have 2 of these helmets, both have MkII liners, both are not dated & like yours the size is 6 3/4. Nice to see the date on your chin strap lugs.

What would they have been used for?
    The pre war date and mk2 style design makes me wonder what they were intended to protect against.

Brian.

Hi Brian, with the threat from air raids and falling shrapnel, many members of the general public were keen to obtain a helmet for their own personal protection: these were made to cater for that demand.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade.
    That was my first thought, but I am curious, as mine is dated 1938. Could the threat of war have been looming even then?

Cheers,

Brian.

Oh yes, very much so. Bear in mind it was the year of the Munich Crisis and "Peace in our time".

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast