MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MKII G.P.O Helmet?

Article about: Hi guys, I would really like your advice and thoughts on this one. Personally I have only ever seen black painted G.P.O helmets although I do know that most Home Front services can be found

Default MKII G.P.O Helmet?

Hi guys, I would really like your advice and thoughts on this one. Personally I have only ever seen black painted G.P.O helmets although I do know that most Home Front services can be found in khaki. What are your thoughts about the authenticity of this one? It is a 1941 dated helmet, think it stands a chance but the sellers images are not very detailed I'm afraid. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII G.P.O Helmet?   MKII G.P.O Helmet?  

MKII G.P.O Helmet?  

I am dubious about the stenciling. Given the rust bleed on the rest of the lid, the lack of it on the white concerns me a bit. I think you will need in hand to make sure.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I am dubious about the stenciling. Given the rust bleed on the rest of the lid, the lack of it on the white concerns me a bit. I think you will need in hand to make sure.
    Hi Ade, that was my train of thought, just seems odd to do this to a good Home Front khaki MKII as it would be worth it's asking price if it were still plain? There looks to be very little in the way of wear anywhere near the lettering, that's why I am having real trouble determining the "age" of the stencil, thanks for your thoughts, Leon.

A hard one to make a call on, as to all it is obvious that the GPO looks in better condition than the rest of the lid, though one of those that Vicky and James scored the other day seemed to have the same thing, so perhaps it just happened sometimes. If cheap enough it might be worth it as I assume it is not local so you can go and see it in the hand first.

This one you commented on Leon. Repair Party Water MKII
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Anon View Post
    A hard one to make a call on, as to all it is obvious that the GPO looks in better condition than the rest of the lid, though one of those that Vicky and James scored the other day seemed to have the same thing, so perhaps it just happened sometimes. If cheap enough it might be worth it as I assume it is not local so you can go and see it in the hand first.

This one you commented on Leon. Repair Party Water MKII
    Hi Jerry, unfortunately it is not local, I saw this yesterday and dismissed it as my "gut feeling" was that the lettering was a later addition. My comments on the other helmet are pretty similar to how I feel about this one but Vicky and James have theirs in hand to make a better judgement on it. I would like a G.P.O helmet as I work for Royal Mail and i guess that's the only reason I have posted it for comment because if it were any other type with these uneven wear traits I probably would not give it a second look. Leon.

People do pimp these for any number of reasons, fancy dress/40's weekend movie prop etc......
    Regards,

Jerry

another example on the bay, very expensive and the P&P is taking the p#ss. Mk.II 2c General Post Office Helmet(GPO) REAL Brodie Helmet | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII G.P.O Helmet?   MKII G.P.O Helmet?  

Regards,

Jerry

How much Jerry,thats just plain out and out p... taking,I have noticed,being an avid ebay watcher that there does seem to be a massive purge on mk2's at the moment,not sure why,anyone guess I suppose,maybe an alternative to M1's or TR Helmets when comparing the suttle price differances,still its getting more difficult to pick up something totally original at a fair price...............

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    How much Jerry,thats just plain out and out p... taking,I have noticed,being an avid ebay watcher that there does seem to be a massive purge on mk2's at the moment,not sure why,anyone guess I suppose,maybe an alternative to M1's or TR Helmets when comparing the suttle price differances,still its getting more difficult to pick up something totally original at a fair price...............
    Jake I could not agree more with you Mk II helmets have sky rocketed in the last year and not just on your side of the puddle Canadian helmets have doubled in price it would seem.
    I hate to suggest it but as collectors are we responsible in some small way do to the many new threads and posts many of which have been started right contributed it does make one ponder and consider why the sharp influx in price.

Regards Mark

Whether this is just a trend and things may settle down after xmas,who can say,but to think nearly everything across the board has doubled in the last few years,I remember when Homefront/Aux Helmets were available for under a score,£20 in other words...........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast