Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MkII Helmet , named and with desert finish

Article about: Very nice find, i havnt seen many camo painted helmets around

Default MkII Helmet , named and with desert finish

Here is another lid I never actually posted up here. Had it for about 10 years now. Its a nice MkII tommy helmet, that started life in its normal rough finish green and then has been overpainted in a desert tan. The finish is fantastic and I have no doubt of its originality. It comes complete with liner and chinstrap. The liner is in a good state, not to dry but no markings I can see. Chinstrap fasteners are marked 'II 1940' .Chinstrap is still there, though the springs are getting tired on one side. Its named to an G.R.Coutts. Not sure if he served with the Brits or the Aussies. From memory the small research I did, 2 hits came up in the Aussie war registry, but its as far as I went.

On the fence weather to move this one on, as I have had it a long time and no longer have it on display due to room.

Cheers
    Jason

MkII Helmet , named and with desert finishMkII Helmet , named and with desert finishMkII Helmet , named and with desert finishMkII Helmet , named and with desert finishMkII Helmet , named and with desert finishMkII Helmet , named and with desert finishMkII Helmet , named and with desert finish

?

Default Re: MkII Helmet , named and with desert finish

Are there no markings on the cross pieces or just under the padded head sponge

None at all. The only one I could ever find is on the outside ring of the liner, a yellow '7'

Jason

The liner would appear to be Australian (judging by the square hole in the crown pad), and so would the chinstrap lugs, but the shell has a rim, so it's likely from somewhere else.

Rob

Very cool looking helmet man!

It will look nice with your Ssh-39.

Mate dont get me excited about that, I cant wait to see it

Very nice it's a British shell Aussie liner, I have one similar but not desert coloured

Hi Jason,
    Its a nice lid,Mate.
    Like you said there were 2 hits on the AWM site for G.R.Coutts,1 from Victoria and 1 from New South Wales.
    Can you read the stamp on the shell,it looks like HS 440 in the photo ?? Ive seen something similar but i cant remember where,ill have a look at mine.
    (if you want to move it on chuck it my way )
    Cheers Mick

HS - Hadfields Ltd. jan. 1916 – 1919
    Now wouldnt this be nice if it was a English WW1 shell reissued with WW2 MkII lugs and an Aussie Liner fitted and used in Africa.
    What a find
    Mick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast