Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MKII Home Front M.C.C (Lords cricket ground) Helmet.

Article about: I have just seen this one on the web and if it is genuine it "ticks" two boxes for me as I love cricket!! The decal looks period to me, and I would not be in the slightest bit surp

Default MKII Home Front M.C.C (Lords cricket ground) Helmet.

I have just seen this one on the web and if it is genuine it "ticks" two boxes for me as I love cricket!! The decal looks period to me, and I would not be in the slightest bit surprised that the M.C.C had their own decaled helmets. I am just surprised that they did not go the whole hog and paint the helmet in orange and yellow stripes!! Anyway, what are your thoughts fella's. Thanks in advance, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII Home Front M.C.C (Lords cricket ground) Helmet.   MKII Home Front M.C.C (Lords cricket ground) Helmet.  

Attached Images Attached Images MKII Home Front M.C.C (Lords cricket ground) Helmet. 
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 08-26-2014 at 08:17 AM.

?

I've seen this helmet, or one with the same markings about for quite a few years.
    It all looks ok to me.

?

Certainly looks very interesting Leon and authentic , is there any history of the MCC having their own helmets ?

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Certainly looks very interesting Leon and authentic , is there any history of the MCC having their own helmets ?
    Hi Paul, I have no idea about it apart from what the decal appears to be! I have had a look on the Lords Museum site but cannot find anything "wartime" related. Leon.

?

You'll be able to wear it to the next test you go to mate !! When the old Western Terrace at Headingley was on the go one of these would have been ideal about 5 o clock in the afternoon !!

Quote by Paul D View Post
    You'll be able to wear it to the next test you go to mate !! When the old Western Terrace at Headingley was on the go one of these would have been ideal about 5 o clock in the afternoon !!
    HaHa, i would probably have been thrown out of Headingley wearing this southern softie protective wear!! Leon.

Hi Leon,

During WW2 many buildings at the Pavilion End of Lord's were used by the RAF as the main Aircrew Receiving Centre, which is commemorated today by a small bronze plaque on the pavilion. Another part of the Nursery ground was used by 903 Squadron Balloon Barrage, part of London's defences against low flying enemy aircraft.The ground was also used as Auxiliary Fire Station (AFS) 11V of the AFS. Perhaps there is a connection there, however tenuous, to this helmet?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Used during the bodyline tour period against those Aussie bouncers perhaps!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Leon,

During WW2 many buildings at the Pavilion End of Lord's were used by the RAF as the main Aircrew Receiving Centre, which is commemorated today by a small bronze plaque on the pavilion. Another part of the Nursery ground was used by 903 Squadron Balloon Barrage, part of London's defences against low flying enemy aircraft.The ground was also used as Auxiliary Fire Station (AFS) 11V of the AFS. Perhaps there is a connection there, however tenuous, to this helmet?

Regards, Ned.
    That's very interesting Ned, thank you. Next time I am at the ground I will have to find the plaque and take a photo. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    That's very interesting Ned, thank you. Next time I am at the ground I will have to find the plaque and take a photo. Leon.
    Hi Leon,

It's apparently on the back of the pavillion west side above a commemorative bench and looks something like this.....

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images MKII Home Front M.C.C (Lords cricket ground) Helmet. 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast