Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

MKII HR Leaders helmet.

Article about: Morning gents, I have just won this HR marked MKII helmet off the bay. I have no other details as to year/maker etc but when I get it I will post them up. I think it may be marked up for Hea

Default MKII HR Leaders helmet.

Morning gents, I have just won this HR marked MKII helmet off the bay. I have no other details as to year/maker etc but when I get it I will post them up. I think it may be marked up for Heavy Rescue but any other ideas or opinion would be most appreciated. Leon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII HR Leaders helmet.   MKII HR Leaders helmet.  

?

I put a little bid on this one, but I have two black Heavy Rescue, & thought this one was going to go for quite a bit, which in the end it didn't, so well done.
    It will be dated 1939.
    Here's a little info on the HR from the net.
    The Service came into being as part of the Civil Defence programme, and was made up of builders, plumbers, electricians and skilled workers, who helped clear up the debris created by the German attacks. They were really builders in reverse: they helped stabilise the devastated area to allow the Light Rescue Service safe access to trapped civilians. The Heavy Rescue Service got their name from the equipment they used, heavy winching and lifting gear that was carried round in the back of an old pick-up truck; the Light rescue Service got their name from the light gear they carried round, ropes and stretchers and first-aid kits.

Hi Aaron, excellent information, most appreciated ,thanks. I only have the one standard "R" helmet in black so I went for this one, I too was surprised at the reasonable price considering how much nice MKII's have been going for on the bay. I have missed out on at least three recently but that's probably just as well, I have put a "level" on my maximum bidding, to keep myself "in check"! Leon.

Blimey Leon,your buying up the whole country mate,do you dream about mk2's,hopefully a diagnosis can be found real soon,or that extention is becoming a much more serious threat,another great pickup BTW.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Blimey Leon,your buying up the whole country mate,do you dream about mk2's,hopefully a diagnosis can be found real soon,or that extention is becoming a much more serious threat,another great pickup BTW.
    Thanks Jake, I personally had ignored the Home Front for 25 years, just pursuing Third Reich items to my shame! I have a lot of "catching up" to do, I only wish that I had started to pick up these great helmets all those years ago as they then cost zilch back then. Leon.

Irony of life Leon i'm afraid mate,we are all guilty of it,you simply do what feels right at that time,same for me too,M1's were leaving the states in the 80's for $20's something like that,its like when someone tells you what they paid for there house in the 70's,that was then this is now,no point dwelling how much things cost back then or why didn't i feel my loft full of the stuff.all those air displays i went to as a kid at Biggin Hill and never picked a single item to take home"what a dork" or what,but thats life and you can only do your best as it is today,best of luck with your continuing quest,and may you find many more great examples still lurking out there.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I put a little bid on this one, but I have two black Heavy Rescue, & thought this one was going to go for quite a bit, which in the end it didn't, so well done.
    It will be dated 1939.
    Here's a little info on the HR from the net.
    The Service came into being as part of the Civil Defence programme, and was made up of builders, plumbers, electricians and skilled workers, who helped clear up the debris created by the German attacks. They were really builders in reverse: they helped stabilise the devastated area to allow the Light Rescue Service safe access to trapped civilians. The Heavy Rescue Service got their name from the equipment they used, heavy winching and lifting gear that was carried round in the back of an old pick-up truck; the Light rescue Service got their name from the light gear they carried round, ropes and stretchers and first-aid kits.
    You are spot on Aaron, it has a 1939 dated liner, although the paint is to thick to see a date on the steel itself. I will take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight. Leon.

I don't look at the bay for a couple of days and this happens well done on getting this one and thanks for posting it, darn I never knew of the days where you could pick them up for around £5 problems with being born in 2001

Matt

?

I really like the well used condition and colour of that one Leon and have never seen or heard of Heavy Rescue before. I wish too I had carried on buying them after I picked up my very first MKII that cost me a whole week's pocket money.

Tony

Here are a few more images as promised, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII HR Leaders helmet.   MKII HR Leaders helmet.  

MKII HR Leaders helmet.   MKII HR Leaders helmet.  

MKII HR Leaders helmet.   MKII HR Leaders helmet.