Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

?

I will do the same on the norm as well Taka there is only the rare occasion that I will not remove the liner such as with the black and white camo as I do not want to break the paint seal on the liner retention bolt.

Regards Mark K

?

Another Canadian Mk II to add to the thread gents a 1941 dated C.L./C. steel batch code 28 the shell is nicely C/l\ marked as is the chinstrap I was always under the assumption that the 40 dated Mk II's were the hardest to come by as this was the first year of production my understanding now is that the 41 is the rarest of the Canadian MK II's as there was an abundance of helmets manufactured in 40 hence there were fewer produced in 41
    It is sporting a 42 dated Viceroy liner in a size 7 1/4 .

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

?

This 1942 dated C.L./C Mk II has a nice patina and well worn look about her it will display rather nicely it is sporting the early woven 1 variant of the Canadian two tone camo net and has a 1940 dated V.M.C liner.
    The chinstrap is C/l\ marked and named to a H.DANN the under side has been peppered with paint spots but I have never been one to turn a helmet out because of a few blemishes.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

?

Another Canadian Mk II to add to the thread a 1940 dated C.L./C. batch code number 7 .
    The liner and crucifix look to be original to the helmet and it shows some nice honest patina and light ware to the outside of the shell there is one oddity that I have only seen on on other early Canadian Mk II before it is C-/l\ stamped on the exterior of the shell right below the chinstrap lug rivet.
    The late war second variation knotted two tone camo net with oil cloth scrim is not original to the helmet but I needed a nice helmet to display it on.

Regards Mark K

?

One more for tonight gents another we bit of an odd duck.
    This Mk II helmet I do consider it a one off as most of the Saint John Ambulance Brigade helmets I have seen are painted white and bare the Brigades coat of arms which most of the time is applied to the front with a water slide decal.
    The helmet was manufactured by General Steel Wares And Aluminum Goods ( G.S.W. ) / Department Of Pensions And Health ( D.P & H ) and sports welded helmet lugs which denotes this helmet as being manufactured for civil defense the liner is in a size 7 1/2 and was manufactured by Viceroy ( V.M.C. II ) and is dated to 1942.
    Interestingly enough this helmet has been brush painted in a flat mat black and bares the name of the owner etched on the inner rim one Ed Thomas.
    There is a small group of S.J.A.B members that served outside Canada in various capacities. Most served in the United Kingdom while others served in the Mediterranean Theater,Belgium and Germany Staff members signed a contract in 1942-43 for the duration of the war and as long as needed after that. In 1944-45, contracts were for a minimum of one year.
    There were 220 members of the St. John's Ambulance Brigade that answered the call and left Canada for overseas service a few of these members served in the actual theater of war as a welfare worker's, nursing aid's, ambulance or transport driver's and or member's of Overseas Headquarters Staff.
    I have had very little luck researching the owners name but often wonder if he was one of the few that served in the ETO possibly as an ambulance driver .

Regards Mark K

?

I'll Join in. I have one that has the earlier liner.... I will have to get my son's digi camera and take some pic's. I posted it once before to try to figure out what the emblem painted on the front was and who used it.

I"LL BE BACK with Pic's!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I'm Back and found the pic's I posted in my original thread.
    mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours
    The markings on one of the liner bands goes as follows
    VERO
    I

If anybody can add anything to the use of this emblem I would greatly appreciate anything you might add.
    Thanks
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Phil I really like the wear and the patina on this Mk II shell sorry cant be any help on the hand painted emblem/flash but any thought's on the shell and or liner manufacturers and dates .

Regards Mark K

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    but any thought's on the shell and or liner manufacturers and dates .
    Regards Mark K
    Thanks Mark,
    The only marking on the rim of the shell that I could find with a magnifying glass is a roman numeral 2 near the chin strap attachment.
    Like mentioned above the liner is marked by VERO and 1939. From my research VERO made liners, but I don't know if they made helmets.
    I the original post, members said that the emblem is of a Thistle,but nobody could tell me what/who exactly would put a Thistle on their helmet.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Another Favourite of mine,
    A 1942 South African MkII,painted in desert camo scheme,its got the Union of South Africa - Jager Rand Liner as well as the size 6 3/4 marked on the arms.
    The 3 holes in the rear rim were for a neck flap (but dont get me started on that )
    It has the remains of an insignia on the front but i dont know what it is.
    The last pic is with a pair of Rommel Goggles ? which go nicely with the helmet
    Mick

Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast