MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 88 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Good afternoon gents,

This is a very useful thread for me as I have never paid as much attention as I probably should to these helmets so I am learning quickly!

I know this is a "show yours" thread so here is one of mine, nothing special just a run of the mill type I think but I would value any opinions on this one.

The shell is stamped RO&CO MKII 1940 and has no other markings. The liner is very small, about 6 1/2 I think and has no markings at all. The paint visible on the inside appears to be the base colour and is underneath the textured finish of the outside. As can be seen on the inside there are three areas of paint run which all go in the same direction together with a small amount of paint sag on the underside of the rim correspondingly opposite the areas of run. So, I wonder if this has been repainted at some point. Whatever happened to this helmet occurred a long time ago as I found it in an old loft years ago and it was covered in so much accumulated filth that it was a health hazard which had to be sympathetically decontaminated.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Mark
    Very nice Mark. If you look at the opening post helmet, that is also an early example with the textured paint only on the exterior and it appears to be applied over the same smooth paint as that found on the interior.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

NCA
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Some nice helmets,love the anti-glare/sparks goggles.
    Thank you.When my collection grows up it wants to be just like yours!

?

Thanks, that gave me a chuckle.

?

Default Mk2 Fire Watcher

A very worn Fire Watchers helmet that has a nice bit of hidden history.
    Originally painted khaki green inside & out, it belonged to a NFS Company officer as it had an 1 1/2" red band.
    It was then over painted black but leaving an 1" of red for a rank, ( NFS 1/2 red band donates a leading fireman) So it could be for a leading fire watcher?
    Fire watchers job was to protect industrial premises, most likely workers from the factory doing the watching for incendiary bombs, & with their stirrup pumps put out any fires. If the fire was to strong then calling the NFS.
    The shell is dated 1940 & made by EC&CoLtd, the liner is a BMB which is dated 1939. The NFS decal is under the black paint above the FW, & as with all the red paint on these NFS helmets it goes crinkly.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

Not very pretty but I obtained this Canadian made CSW helmet, from a chap in Caen Normandy, where it had been found locally, no liner, it wasn't till I gently cleaned it with a wet cloth, that the remains on the name SWANSON became visable, there are also some other marks further round but unreadable, a helmet with a story I think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

1939 dated, named to MUNDY, bought locally at a carboot a few years ago, great sand finish and wired !

Quote by garys39 View Post
    1939 dated, named to MUNDY, bought locally at a carboot a few years ago, great sand finish and wired !
    Very nice and very rare to see a Brit lid with wire. And it has a flash and named, all round great lid.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I will second that Jerry a very nice lid indeed Gary I tried to enlarge the picture to look at the wire a little closer it would appear to have sand texture on the vertical wire strips but it is hard to make out.

Regards Mark

Default mk11

Some nice lids, enjoyed looking through the pictues. Here's mine dated 1942 "N" Ltd 11 15th scottish but what do you think about the insignia? Original to the helmet.
    Regards
    PetermkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

SA MKII, Jaeger Rand liner dated 1940.

The shell has the original sand colour underneath, but was covered with green camo at some point, possibly during the Italy campaign.

The helmet has the following markings inside:

A/CPL Davey.LA
    733. (+something I cant read)

Cheers, Mads

Page 18 of 88 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast