Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 29 of 88 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

?

Mark,

I bought it as being early Brit army green while in the UK last week, the dealer did say it was the colour used on Dunkirk helmets and as I have very little idea about WWII colours I had to take his word for it so, I'm hoping Aaron/Leon or someone else with their knowledge on Brit helmets chimes in with a definite yes or no. The dealer had a good dozen or so various home front helmets on his table.

Tony

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Tony, I think it looks like the original khaki green, although worn & a bit faded, which can throw you sometimes.
    Here's a few pics of mine.
    Speak of the devil

Thanks Aaron.

What I might do is take a better photo during the week and hope the shade of green comes out a bit better.

Tony

?

Whenever a dealer says it's the colour used on Dunkirk helmets, the only colour used on them whether an Mk1* or Mk2 it is textured khaki green.
    The smooth khaki green was used on home front helmets mostly, & of course they will be dated 1938/39. Which falls nicely for the B.E.F. So the confusion starts there.

?

Ah yes, that has sunken in so when he said it I just said to myself that he means the colour used on helmets early on in the war whether textured or not, or perhaps he's not sure what he's talking about.

Tony

?

Been a while since I have added any new examples to the thread first one up is a 1941 dated C.L./C. flashed to the Winnipeg Grenadiers this particular Mk II has a special place in my collection as it has direct vet provanance .
    Second one up is a 1943 dated C.L./C. four panel medics helmet that I was lucky enough to acquire a few months back
    Third up is a 1942 G.S.W. that is sporting a Canadian two tone camoflauge gas cape that IMO has been on this example for some time as it shows definate age and wear and has a few small rips in the material and has adhered itself to the helmet body.

Regards Mark

Default My latest MkII with a desert past?

Hello chaps,

just come into possession of this salty old war-dog and I'm made up with it. It looks to me like it's had a desert camo paint job at some point in its life which can be seen where the thick sandy-textured paint has flaked off. The net also appears to be original to the helmet and has left an impression on the paintwork. It really oozes that 'been there' look.

The liner is a CCL dated 1945 but unfortunately I can't locate a stamp for the shell. I was surprised to find the liner dated as late as 1945, a replacement I assume.

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Hope you like it,

Ian.

Thumbs up Mk II or Mk 1*?

Hello all,

another two from my collection although I think (hope) the first may be a Mk I*. There are no makers stamps on the shell or chinstrap lugs and it carries a Mk I liner by JCS&W Ltd. J. Compton Sons & Webb Ltd. Unfortunately the date stamp for the liner has missed the band but it looks like 1938 to me. It's in fantastic condition too.

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

The second is a BMB 1941 rimless Mk II with a 1940 dated liner made by Teddy Toy Company both of Dagenham. I bought it last year quite cheaply from the bay as it was painted a bright glossy green which I think put most people off. The paint itself was in a brittle state and could actually be scraped off with a thumbnail It's taken me 12 months on and off to complete it but it's been well worth it to see the original mushroom-coloured paint underneath. I believe these shells were pressed into fire-service duty and painted glossy green. There is a curious '21' painted on the inside in bright red paint and this could possibly be an area/district number. Any thoughts chaps?

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Cheers,

Ian.

?

Nice Lid Ian I see no sign that there was ever a rim attached a good score and we'll worth wearing down a few thumbnails over IMO .

Regards Mark

?

Hi Ian,
    Your first one is an Mk2 No.1, & having the shiny khaki green paint inside & out would have most likely been used on the home front.From sometime in 1939 they started to paint them black.
    Your second one is also an home front helmet, & again is an Mk2 No.1 but without the rim, all that I've seen are always stamped BMB 1941. Grey being the original colour, used quite a bit by the NFS, but also for anyone needing an helmet for use on the home front like the ARP or other services.

Thanks gents, the search for the Mk I* continues! Tinlid, how come these early MkII shells have no makers marks or date stamps?

Cheers,

Ian.

Page 29 of 88 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 ... LastLast