Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 69 of 88 FirstFirst ... 19 59 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 79 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

Quote by Composite View Post
    Very nice....well done.......there ought to be a book on these things..........
    I have heard there is such a book in the pipeline. Any idea about that?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I've heard that too.......and all 363 pages are looking really quite good.....albeit covered with bits of sticky paper and pencil scribbles.....

Now, I've had soooooooo many suggested explanations for the lid shown in #397 (below)......thank you to the hundreds who contributed....... 'turns out to a Manchester based engineering company called Mather & Platt Ltd. A cheque for £5,000 is on it's way to the winner...

...it's really great when a code is cracked......

Next?!

I've heard that too.......and all 363 pages are looking really quite good.....albeit covered with bits of sticky paper and pencil scribbles.....

Now, I've had soooooooo many suggested explanations for the lid shown in #397 (below)......thank you to the hundreds who contributed....... 'turns out to a Manchester based engineering company called Mather & Platt Ltd. A cheque for £5,000 is on it's way to the winner...

...it's really great when a code is cracked......

Next?!
    Brilliant! Just as an historical aside. M&P Still exists as a multinational engineering company and remains as a food processing plant of sorts in Trafford Park, Manchester. The company has been around since the late 18th century in Manchester (I'm from that nek of the woods) and were a major concern during WWI. I grew up amongst many families who had members working there.
    Just a bit of background colour, their Newton Heath works was inspiration to the painter LS Lowry.
    (culture too OMG!)

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Unless there’s another like it knocking about I went in for this helmet a couple of years back but the owner wouldn’t post it, or had sold it already I can’t recall. I missed the original post too, great to see it again.

I drove up North (I had my long range drop tanks on) to collect it. Side markings are quite rare but, at the time, I didnt know who it was. Mr Tinlid made a clever suggestion regarding electrical engineers (shape of the "M" looked like an ohm) but we got there in the end.....either way, it's in the book....or at least will be....

SMP
    ?

....either way, it's in the book....or at least will be....
    What book ? You've never mentioned one !

I remember, was it Manchester/Leeds way? I’ve started driving myself now if they won’t post. It’s a great catch that and can I place an order for the book now?

Cheers, Ian

?

I'll be second in the queue for this not much talked about book.
    As and when.

?

Next? you say...

Anyone got any ideas on this?

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yoursmkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

?

An officer of the rescue service, no idea on the B. E. S.

Page 69 of 88 FirstFirst ... 19 59 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 79 ... LastLast