Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MKII South African Helmet (1942)

Article about: Evening gents, I just thought I would share this nice (if not spectacular) 1942 South African made MKII that I have just picked up. I think it is in pretty good order as it only has the one

Default MKII South African Helmet (1942)

Evening gents, I just thought I would share this nice (if not spectacular) 1942 South African made MKII that I have just picked up. I think it is in pretty good order as it only has the one "stacking" stripe on the tan paint work. The liner is the usual Jager Rand made type. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKII South African Helmet (1942)   MKII South African Helmet (1942)  

MKII South African Helmet (1942)   MKII South African Helmet (1942)  

MKII South African Helmet (1942)  

?

Looks good.

MAP
    ?

Nice Leon

Is there any way to remove that stacking Mark? Given that is basically melted liner material (vinyl, plastic?). Maybe a shot of freeze spray so it can be chipped off?

Seriously, I'm curious.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Congrats Leon!!! Looks to be in decent shape.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice one Leon, its hard to get one without stacking marks.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice Leon

Is there any way to remove that stacking Mark? Given that is basically melted liner material (vinyl, plastic?). Maybe a shot of freeze spray so it can be chipped off?

Seriously, I'm curious.

M
    Hi Michael, I have often thought about that one myself, but have not come up with any solutions yet. If you hear of any let me know! Leon.

MAP
    ?

No joke, as a kid I would see the school janitor walk around the sidewalks of our school with a can of freeze spray (the stuff I used in college soccer {futbal} when we would injure ourselves). He would spray it on the chewing gum stuck to the side walk and we would just bang it with a hammer or something and it would break apart in tiny pieces (all frozen).

So maybe this with a dental pick and you can chip it off. I don't see how the cold would affect the lid.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I will give it a whirl Michael for giggles I have an old helmet body at home and it will not matter if it takes a bit of a kicking.
    We use something along the same line for freezing stubborn nuts and bolts that are seized do to rust and or thread locking compounds my biggest worry of course would be that there is a very good possibility that the texturered paint may come off with it.
    Canadian Mk II's have a smooth factory finish so the odds are it will work on them and or a British CD helmet I am not so convinced on anything that has a rough finish on it and or that has been over painted.
    BTW nice SA Mk II Leon I will post mine up over the next few days.

Regards Mark

MAP
    ?

Let us know how it goes. I would assume since the stacking ring is from the softer liner material, if used with a dental pick, you could get under the material and pop it out. Little by little of course.

Glad to see that you are volunteering a lid for the betterment of mankind :-)

Michael

I will wait to hear your results Mark! Call me a coward but I will let you have a pop first! I do own some dental picks(oddly enough ) so if it works out I will have a go. Cheers chaps, Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast