Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

MkII Warden Helmet

Article about: I am pleased to share my newest non-US helmet. I happened upon this for sale and couldn't resist. It shipped from a shop in Bristol but other than that I have no background on it. I am famil

Default MkII Warden Helmet

I am pleased to share my newest non-US helmet. I happened upon this for sale and couldn't resist. It shipped from a shop in Bristol but other than that I have no background on it. I am familiar with the classic "W" painted helmets but the artwork and large diamond really drew me to this one. Would the diamond be an insignia of some sort, or just applied for additional visibility? I absolutely love the stylized "W."

Hard to make out the maker mark on this one, but it's dated 1940. The liner is dry and needs cleaning, but I have not yet peeled back the liner to see what the suspension is dated. It appears this had gray-green paint when it was fitted with the liner, and then the outside was painted black. The interior has the original color. Chinstrap is marked "M" for magnetic, if my forum research is correct. Rim is punched.

Lots of photos to follow. All feedback most welcomed!

MkII Warden HelmetMkII Warden HelmetMkII Warden HelmetMkII Warden Helmet

More shots of the liner.

Note the date with the punches through it, and the gray-green interior under the liner.

Close-up photos of the insignia. There is no glow under black light, and to me it appears original and not re-touched.

It'll be a rank thing rather than a visibility thing. It's not "official" ie nationwide so it'll almost certainly be a Regionally-specific marking

A very fine and unusual example, very good to see it.

There seems to be an almost endless variety of undocumented home front lids out there. Makes it a very interesting area for collecting.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you for the feedback!

?

Here's a picture of the rescue service with the same marking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MkII Warden Helmet  

Amazing photo, thank you for sharing!

Nice example of a magnetic mild-steel home front helmet. Unusual 'W' marking; definitely worth importing into the US of A! Good purchase and thanks for sharing.

Regards

Martin