MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

MKIII (1944) HELMET from Ade!!

Article about: Morning gents, I just wanted to show you this great 1944 dated MKIII that our very own Adrian Stevenson passed on to me for a fantastic price. It has it's original dark rough texture finish,

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Nice lid & story.
    What were his thoughts on the new Mk3, compared with the old Mk2 that he was probably issued with first.
    I once did a display of WW2 items in my town, some of the soldiers who were in the war thought a Mk3 I had displayed was an American M1, they had never seen an Mk3 before.

Hi Aaron, he has never said that he preferred one to the other in design but he was very annoyed at the time of his evacuation back to the UK on a medical train. The medical train was taking the wounded from Normandy to Middlesbrough hospital and the nurse in his carriage saw his MKIII and asked him to act as interpreter to the other German wounded! A few expletives in a London accent were furiously vented!! Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Aaron, he has never said that he preferred one to the other in design but he was very annoyed at the time of his evacuation back to the UK on a medical train. The medical train was taking the wounded from Normandy to Middlesbrough hospital and the nurse in his carriage saw his MKIII and asked him to act as interpreter to the other German wounded! A few expletives in a London accent were furiously vented!! Leon.
    Ha Ha, love it My grandad was captured by the Americans (he'd have been wearing a tankie's helmet) and spent 24 hours caged up with some Germans, they eventually handed him over to a Canadian unit.

Great looking helmet and it's good to see your grandad appears to be very fit and able for his age.

Tony

MAP
    ?

Quote by ynot View Post
    Ha Ha, love it My grandad was captured by the Americans (he'd have been wearing a tankie's helmet) and spent 24 hours caged up with some Germans, they eventually handed him over to a Canadian unit.

Great looking helmet and it's good to see your grandad appears to be very fit and able for his age.

Tony
    LoL (now), but I'm sure it wasn't funny back then....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very pleased it has gone to a good home. I have another and honestly did not need two.

This helmet came out of a loft and was found by a friend of mine when he was working there. The owner kindly gave it him. They knew nothing of it. So it has not been through collectors hands, other than mine.

Glad your Granddad liked it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Very pleased it has gone to a good home. I have another and honestly did not need two.

This helmet came out of a loft and was found by a friend of mine when he was working there. The owner kindly gave it him. They knew nothing of it. So it has not been through collectors hands, other than mine.

Glad your Granddad liked it.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade, your friend was not in a loft at Baxter road in Islington was he? If he were it may well have been my Granddads helmet!! LOL. Leon.

Very nice helmet and a great thread, Leon.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Ahh, I see --- well the main thing, of course, is that he got out of it alive Hope you don't mind me asking; was he wounded on Sword Beach?
    Here is an image of his discharge paper from the military hospital in Middlesbrough, stating he was wounded on the 20th July, well over a month after he landed on the beach head. I cannot make out the name of the town/village where he was wounded but if anyone else can tell what it says I would be most grateful. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKIII (1944) HELMET from Ade!!   MKIII (1944) HELMET from Ade!!  

Troarn in Normandy.
    Chris

Thanks for sharing this piece of your grandfather's story with us all, Leon! I think at least these letters are correct : T*ra*n --- I tried searching with all sorts of combinations but did not get any google hits -- hope someone else will come to the rescue.

- - ------- - -

And there you go

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Troarn in Normandy.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris, that's brilliant! I have been looking at this bit of paper for 20 years and could not make head nor tail of the hand writing apart from the T at the beginning and the RN at the end. Has to be the place as it is not far from the beach head at Ouistreham where the Allies landed. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKIII (1944) HELMET from Ade!!  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast