Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

A MkIII with Lift the Dot Fixing

Article about: Found this MkIII in a pile of MkIV helmet shells, has had fitted the Lift the Dot fixing it appears, it has retained it's thick brown sand finish, has anyone else come across this before ? R

Default A MkIII with Lift the Dot Fixing

Found this MkIII in a pile of MkIV helmet shells, has had fitted the Lift the Dot fixing it appears, it has retained it's thick brown sand finish, has anyone else come across this before ?
    Regards Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A MkIII with Lift the Dot Fixing   A MkIII with Lift the Dot Fixing  

Gary....these are interesting. 'Any chance of a close up of the central hole / post replacement as I wonder whether the original liner hole was originally filled or never actually there in the first place....

I'll do some more photos tomorrow in daylight.
    Regards Gary

?

The Mk4 has a dimple where the rivet goes through, so a picture from above would be good to see if it has one.But guessing it has not, being a Mk3 shell.

Here's a couple of close ups of the pin fitting.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A MkIII with Lift the Dot Fixing   A MkIII with Lift the Dot Fixing  

I have one of these, MkIII shell with LTD fixing. Found almost by accident a year or so back. It seems interesting because the spike itself is in virtually as-new condition, never painted. It does have a stamp, only partially readable, showing BMB as maker and part of a batch code. No date visible.

There is no real sign of a dimple in the crown (as per real MkIV). There is a very slight depression around the rivet on the outside, caused by the rivetting process I would guess. There is some rust/painloss there, which leaves me suspecting it was inserted after painting. Going by what the WWH people believe this particular rivet hed is from the 1945 period. ( .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark IV :. )

This shell had a MkIV 'sock' liner when I got it.

A MkIII with Lift the Dot FixingA MkIII with Lift the Dot Fixing

I have one of these too, a MkIII with LTD added and heavy textured paint applied to the outside.

I jokingly like to call it a MkIII*, but that is of course not a correct designation. I don't think these ever had their own designation, and were just modified with a LTD where needed.

SMP
    ?

They appear to be modified MKIII shells

?

I wonder when these modifications were done & by whom, 50's/60's, unit level?