Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MkIII-Location of makers marks?

Article about: I have several MkIII helmets. One is a '44-dated BMB,and the makers marks are readily visible. The other one is,I suspect due to the rim seam, a ROCO, but I cannot find the mark with the thi

?

Default MkIII-Location of makers marks?

I have several MkIII helmets. One is a '44-dated BMB,and the makers marks are readily visible. The other one is,I suspect due to the rim seam, a ROCO, but I cannot find the mark with the thick sand paint-where should I be looking? There are threads here that show the mark,but they are close-ups, so I can't tell where on the shell they are.

Default Re: MkIII-Location of makers marks?

On the back slope of the helmet is normally where they are...it will probably be obscured by the liner though. ROCo stamped their helmets parallel to the rim but they were often lightly stamped and hard to locate if the inside of the helmet is textured.

Lets see some pics of those MkIII's you have...my fave helmet.

?

I don't have a liner in this one, but I've been going over and over with a small flashlight at every angle,trying to spot the marks. What would be very helpful would be a photo where the location of the RoCO marks was pointed out, so I could concentrate on that area

?

here's some pics. The one with the liner and net is a BMB '44. The other pics are of what I think is a Rubery Owen shell.

Ahhh! They look great! Thanks for the pics. Looks like a Rubery with the unwelded rim seam. F&L(Fisher & Ludlow) also made MkIII's with unwelded seams. Good luck locating an F&L stamp...it can be anywhere on the shell.

I will try to photograph one of my ROCo's stamps...I just have to remember which one has a visible stamp. Give me a bit to look around.

?

They sometimes can be very hard to see with the thickness of the paint. Don't forget F&L also made the MkIII, & like RO&Co the stamps are horizontal to the rim, unlike the BMB which is vertical. Some have also been marked on the outside so I've been told.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MkIII-Location of makers marks?   MkIII-Location of makers marks?  

MkIII-Location of makers marks?  

?

I'm just not going to find the marks,I guess. I've looked at this thing every which way, with flashlights held at every angle. There are a lot of bare spots in this shell, but not where any marks are,and I don't want to remove any more sand paint to look. I suppose it really doesn't matter-it's not a BMB, but it could only be a '44 or '45 shell anyway.

?

Like you said, does'nt really matter as it would be dated 43- early 45.

I would say it's a ROCo. shell. Don't scrape anymore of the paint off...that's the original factory earth brown paint. The green one is a repaint.