MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

MkIII Relic

Article about: I recently found this example that had spent much of the past decades in a barn. And look at that chinstrap modification! I have been looking for a MkIII model for some time and decided to b

Default MkIII Relic

I recently found this example that had spent much of the past decades in a barn. And look at that chinstrap modification! I have been looking for a MkIII model for some time and decided to bring this home. I plan on cleaning it up a bit and using it in my classroom display this year.

My thoughts on restoration are to remove the screw and liner, then scrub both liner and shell with soap and water to get rid of the dirt and debris. Would it be worth looking for a new liner/pad? I would like to add a net to cover some of the rust, and perhaps a new chinstrap. I would love to hear any input on this process!

MkIII RelicMkIII RelicMkIII RelicMkIII Relic

Is the screw actually going to turn ? Looks pretty rusty
    in there. You could wipe 'Armor-all' onto the liner.
    Should return to it's original black shade in
    no time. A net is a good idea.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I would be inclined to find a nice worn mid to late war net and a good quality heavily used chinstrap and tidy up the liner if it is for display purposes.
    I would try and leave it as original as possible just a light wipe down to remove the dirt and or decades worth of grime try and salvage the original chinstrap as it is an interesting modification.

Regards Mark

Thank you for the input gentlemen!

I did a little work on it last night. The screw turned just fine and liner came out. It was covered in layers of dirt but the vacuum and brush helped immensely and revealed the liner to be a Canadian one dated 1941.

I used hot water and mild soap to scrub the layers of dirt from the shell then dried it well. The funky chinstrap I removed and just kept the long end on the helmet. There is a nice heavy sand finish. I added a 2-tone net for now and below is the result of the project.

MkIII RelicMkIII RelicMkIII RelicMkIII Relic

?

Bravo nicely done and it is not uncommon to find Mk II liners in these I do know Canadians would transfer there liners over from there Mk II's as there were very limited numbers of Mk III liners available.

Regards Mark

Thank you Mark!

?

Thank you for showing it with any luck I will be closing a deal on a signed unit numbered and flashed Mk III to add to my collection with in the next week or two .

Regards Mark

That' s a handsome MK. III.

I like it !!

Might able to find a cross head rest one day.

Thank you for posting.

Regards,
    Taka

?

That scrubbed up very well, good work!

Brad.