Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My Adrian Helmet

Article about: Well, I really don't know where that chinstrap was during the war years... BUT... They say if the leather is over 60 years old, you can no longer smell it. I have used that as one of my chie

Clyde
    ?

Default Re: My Adrian Helmet

Well, I really don't know where that chinstrap was during the war years... BUT... They say if the leather is over 60 years old, you can no longer smell it. I have used that as one of my chief indicators in purchasing up front.

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    This is an Italian WW1 helmet, M15/16 also known as Lippmann. Looking at the liner this is a Spanish reissue. The Italians normaly did not use badges.

After the CW the Spanish Army overpainted their helmets with a layer of olive paint, not this green. Mostly very roughly by hand. This one might still have the original "grigio verde" under the ghastly green!

Try at the rear of the helmet and keep water at hand. Use small amounts of paint stripper and was off immediatly the moment you se it bubbling. It is risky though!

Have a look at Joseba's indispensable site! He shows your helmet, complete with the holes.

Good luck,
    Emile

ESPAÑOL ADRIAN FRANCÉS
    Emile I have to correct you at one point. The Italians did have badges on their Lipmann helmet as can be seen at for example: Paolo Marzetti Elmetti Page. 455 and onwards. I will be putting an interesting article about the Italian helmet on my website asap.
    However I share your conclusion that this is a Spanish reissue derived from the liner.

I agree with MagicDutchman. The Italians did use badges occasionally, but mostly they spray painted the badges using a stencil.

Chers,
    Emile

?

For example (infantry badges)

Piotrek
    Attached Images Attached Images My Adrian Helmet 
    Last edited by ppp p; 06-17-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks again to all!!!

Triple-P: I'll PM you my address so you can mail me one or both of those emblems

?

Piotrek

Nice emblems indeed!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

i feel familiar with your adrian case, cause i´ve got a quite similar one (posted in this forum)...
    actually i´m also removing some paint from my helmet, to expose an older layer (against some advises given her) ,very fine sandpaper with some water does a great job, but must be careful..
    i also bought an original- emblem for my mexican adrian on a fleamarket (here in mexico) for 20 dollars or so... it might have been rather expensive, but i am very happy with it, and after all that is all that matters, but as told before, there are nice ones on ebay, but they might be copies. i´ll post it when i finish this proyect (hope i won´t be hated for what i´m doing...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2