Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

My British Mk IV Helmet

Article about: Hello all, I recently picked up this British Mk IV Turtle Helmet for a really good price. The shell is a BMB 1952 and the liner is a FFL size 7 also 1952. The shell is painted black and I th

?

Default My British Mk IV Helmet

Hello all,

I recently picked up this British Mk IV Turtle Helmet for a really good price. The shell is a BMB 1952 and the liner is a FFL size 7 also 1952. The shell is painted black and I think its original. I've read that black was possibly used in Jungle theatres but it seems a bit too shiny to me. The liner has started to fray near the band. I decided to jazz it up with a British WW2 green camouflage net which I got from tinlid (Aaron) over at ww2britishhelmets.co.uk (thanks very much). I'm thinking I might scrim it up with some hessian.

Any comments appreciated.

Alex
    My British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV HelmetMy British Mk IV Helmet

Looks nice and complete with the net.
    Don't know much about these........
    Regards,

Steve.

Great looking postwar Helmet and yes I would expect to see that colour paint for this time frame,nice addition to any collection..........

?

Here's some pics of the Mk4 in use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My British Mk IV Helmet   My British Mk IV Helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images My British Mk IV Helmet 

?

Hi Alex although despised by many I am rather fond of the mark III-IV-VI they kind of grow on you after a while I have a 45-and two 52's in my collection one of the latter being a MOD 70's retro fit IMO no commonwealth collection is complete with out at least one of these on the shelf as they had such a long service life I do notice the finish on my 52 seems to be a tad duller than yours I do think they take on a bit of a shine to the paint depending on how much they are handled I as well picked a late war net up from Aaron not long ago for my 45 .
    I still need to add a early 43 or 44 to complete my line up and have full representation .

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My British Mk IV Helmet   My British Mk IV Helmet  

My British Mk IV Helmet  

very nice examples Markthanks for showing mate.........

?

Thanks for all your comments guys. I was on the lookout for a ww2 Mk III or IV but this one came along for a price I couldn't refuse plus my grandfather was a royal marine commando in the 50's and 60's so it ties into that collecting theme for me. I still can't get over how little these post ww2 helmets go for. To me they still hold lots of history with possible uses in Korea, Malaya and the Suez etc IMO an undervalued piece.

?

A good example Alex, and I agree, these post war lids are mostly left alone and undervalued.
    But on the bright side, that makes them affordable and easier to obtain for those who appreciate them.
    It's good to see another Queenslander on here too BTW, our numbers are growing

Brad.