Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first MKII helmet

Article about: Hello, Annoyed from this ads?   Below are pics of the first ever steel helmet I bought, I was 8 years old at the time and it cost me a whole week’s pocket money, I don’t think I bought

?

Default My first MKII helmet

Hello,

Below are pics of the first ever steel helmet I bought, I was 8 years old at the time and it cost me a whole week’s pocket money, I don’t think I bought any militaria again until about 14 years later and by then I was interested in the Great War rather than WWII.

I haven’t looked at this helmet in years so got it out of its box to check the date and maker, that’s when I noticed the interior is black.

Could it have been a black helmet someone has painted green to make it look like an army helmet prior to me buying it, or did some have black interiors?

The green doesn’t look dark enough to me now or is this green one of the colours used in the war?

By the way, the stamping in the brim is so faint that I can’t make it out, the liner is BMB 1940.

Thanks
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first MKII helmet   My first MKII helmet  

Is the interior black or dark blue? Could be reissue from a police helmet?

?

No it's definitely black. Were they reissued to the army or do you mean something like postwar Dutch/Belgium etc?

Tony

What kind of top screw is used? seems an odd type.

?

Very hard to tell either way whether it was over painted during the war or post, but probability it was post.

Perhaps he switched from Warden to Home Guard.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Oh no, is someone going to say the market dealer took an 8 year old's pocket money for something like a Greek refurb?

The nut and bolt are pictured, both are brass with imperial thread. Do they look standard?

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first MKII helmet   My first MKII helmet  

?

It's not a Greek or any other European refurb, all British parts.
    Over the last 70 years+ this helmet could have been repainted, by kids, or re-enactment or even by post war civil defence. The wear on the inside seems more than the outside, which sort of says the outside has been repainted more recently.
    No problem with the nut & bolt, all wartime.

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    It's not a Greek or any other European refurb, all British parts.
    Over the last 70 years+ this helmet could have been repainted, by kids, or re-enactment or even by post war civil defence. The wear on the inside seems more than the outside, which sort of says the outside has been repainted more recently.
    No problem with the nut & bolt, all wartime.
    Ah thanks for the reassurance. 35p well spent then, even though my mum didn't agree.

I'm sure I read somewhere here on a thread that you have a website, if that's right please send me a link.

Tony

WW2 British Helmets

Here it is Tony.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast