Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My first Wolseley Pattern Pith Helmet

Article about: Morning gents I managed to add another piece to my collection last night I found this Wolseley pattern khaki pith helmet for sale on a little sleeper site I visit from time to time and at a

?

Default My first Wolseley Pattern Pith Helmet

Morning gents I managed to add another piece to my collection last night I found this Wolseley pattern khaki pith helmet for sale on a little sleeper site I visit from time to time and at a very agreeable price I might add
    The Wolseley helmet was named after the Army Chief of Staff during the late Victorian era, Sir Garnet Wolseley. It consisted of cloth over cork or pith (often from the sola plant).
    I do believe Wolseley pith helmets of this style were produced until late 1943 early 1944 and were eventually replaced by the Indian pattern sola pith helmet or otherwise affectionately known as the Bombay Bowler
    This particular example is 1942 dated and nicely /l\ marked and was manufactured by Sutton and is in a size 6 3/4 the foil for the most part is still intact It would appear by the sellers pictures to be in very decent condition with some light soiling on the exterior and IMO from the look of the liner seen very minimal usage .
    I am still undecided if the rear brim has a slight factory upwards curve to it or this was caused by it resting on the rear brim I will need to do a little more research and look at a few more period images I do believe these were only produced with the foil in the interior between 1941 and 1943 and it was adopted to help with shielding the heat.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Wolseley Pattern Pith Helmet   My first Wolseley Pattern Pith Helmet  

My first Wolseley Pattern Pith Helmet   My first Wolseley Pattern Pith Helmet  

My first Wolseley Pattern Pith Helmet  

A very nice example, well done.
    Cheers
    Nuno

?

Thanx Nuno I have been wanting to add one to my collection for some time.

Regards Mark

?

I didn't know you were into them. You should have let me know, I have one on line right now for sale (white WW2 RCASC) and one or 2 other white ones without badges on them I am thinking of clearing out.

Have you got Clive Laws book "Fuss and Fashion"? Shows Canadian Issue Head Dress from the 1860s to modern, tons of Colour photos ( he got some of those helmets from me).

Those are great looking helmets, and yours is in very nice condition.

Dean O

?

Here are 3 I have, all have the metal chinstraps, the last one is a WW1 Canadian Medical Corps Officers Lid.
    The 2nd one shown is a Proper Pith Helmet, the others are your type.

The Photos did not come out in the correct order, the inside may not match the lids shown..but you get the idea

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

My first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith HelmetMy first Wolseley Pattern Pith Helmet

All fantastic examples

?

Very nice Dean you have an awsome collection as to your query on what I collect Iam intrested in all things Commonwealth of course my personal prefrence is Canadian but I do have many examples of British Head gear as well.

Regards Mark

?

A neat helmet Mark, & Dean's.

?

Thanx Aaron they are rather intresting.

Regards Mark

Great pith helmet Mark.

Dean, the Hawkes & co is a beauty, I have one by them which is slightly later as it lists that and there new address at Saville Row.

I'd ask if it was for sale but my track record with you would make that unlikely. Great lid all the same.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast