Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

The new ebay money maker

Article about: One of these sold for over £880. The other two hope to !

A little off the helmet topic, but just shows how bad these things are .... 1967goldie is furtunate enough to be selling a "LARGE WW2 MILITARY ENAMEL METAL RIFLE BOMB DISPOSAL RANGE SIGN" marked as MOD, which wasn't used until 1964

The new  ebay money maker

Large WW2 Military Enamel Metal Rifle Bomb Disposal Range Sign | eBay
    "Per Ardua"

Quote by pluto View Post
    It's not just them that's doing it ,there's another guy called SPANMIL with a few iffy British helmets on e-bay right now, and yesterday ,a MK2 with fake Polish insignia sold for £345
    I was watching the Polish lid, what a piece of cr#p.

The raising of awareness here is largely among ourselves, it seems there are plenty out there who not visit here or ask on forums and are happy to buy these faked up offerings. One day in the future these lids will reappear for sale and then the sellers will get a shock.

Has anyone seen the 30 corps offered by Goldie today, the boer is so badly done FFS.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The new  ebay money maker  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I don't feel sorry at all for these suckers that are buying these fake lids, when I have a problem regarding authenticity of a helmet,I know that I can rely on you experts for an honest opinion, I wonder how long it will be until they start dishing out the Malta cammos
    (maybe the paint is still wet)

?

Quote by pluto View Post
    I don't feel sorry at all for these suckers that are buying these fake lids, when I have a problem regarding authenticity of a helmet,I know that I can rely on you experts for an honest opinion, I wonder how long it will be until they start dishing out the Malta cammos
    (maybe the paint is still wet)
    I wonder if in 20 - 30 years or so down the line when we’ve all carked it or are in a some kind of home, and no one with the knowledge has published something documenting all the fakes being knocked out at the moment, then those fakes may suddenly become original?

They’re not just an ebay money maker either, see the pics below. The WWI helmets looked very good in the hand.

Even if any of them are original, they’d have to be original beyond doubt before I spend more than a tenner on them although I'm sure they'll look very authentic when they've aged another few years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The new  ebay money maker   The new  ebay money maker  

'Trouble is, I bet quite a few of us have lids which we NOW suspect....AND some which we THOUGHT might not've been right at the time but, over time, seem 100%......after all, it's simply a matter of the age of the paintwork...possibly the hardest bit to date......

BUT there certainly appears to be a glut of supposed rare ones at the mo.......but what will future members say when we sell our collections....'a number of relatively good lids hitting the market in one wave........'gotta be fake right? ;-)

?

You both hit the nail right on the head

Increasingly collectors of British lids will have to apply the same sort of analytical techniques that collectors of German lids have been employing for years. What is the paint like, is it over painted, fresh scratches or rust, decal or hand painted insignia, whats underneath it, does it have the correct paint, do scratches run across it or under it.

Some of these have a different relevance to German lids which if they have insignia/decals, they came that way from the factory and should have nothing but factory paint under them, whilst British lids had any insignia, either decals or paint added at unit level or even privately and might have been added to a helmet that had already seen some use. Therefore, scratches under the insignia is not a sure sign of post war pimping, and I know that I have home front lids that have insignia over the top of other insignia, sometimes it can be decals, spray painted, brush painted. Camo paint was all done an individual or at most unit level and though they can follow a pattern, they are all one offs, so who can say whats period, also again they can be painted over earlier factory paint or even on top of earlier over paint, how then do you say whats period or early post war or modern fakery.

Some times the fakes are obvious, if you have camo or army flash on top of a home front lid -either a black lid or reject grade- then walk away, but if you have camo on top of army paint with hand painted flash, then you have to decide......
    Regards,

Jerry

SMP
    ?

Another beauty !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The new  ebay money maker  

Quote by SMP View Post
    Another beauty !
    Better painted than most he churns out!
    Regards,

Jerry

Regards,

Jerry

Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast