Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New helmet: HADRIANS Wall CAMO MKII Northumbrian Ulster Territorial Service

Article about: Hello all, just got this helmet in the mail, arrived direct from Essex today. A smashing example of a MkII helmet badged to the Royal Engineers, in Hadrians wall camo, and it in fact has wha

The overall patina (of the helmet) seems fine, and although the disruptive pattern of the camouflage follows known examples of the so-called 'Hadrian's Wall' pattern, the colour appears to be of the wrong shade. (See the reference book on these helmets - and others... 'Goldie's Great Helmets of WW11.' The serrated edge of the sellotape is another area of concern for me. I'm not sure if tape dispensers of that period were using that type of blade. I would rather see the helmet in hand before I pass judgement on this one. But I dare say some clown will come along and remove the camo, shilling, and badge - and totally ruin it.

NUTS!!!! I have always enjoyed satire (huge Monty Python fan 1st time around!)

Sadly the reality is that with slightly less "tongue in cheek" some poor souls would (and do) fall for such "creativity". Another reinforcement of the "know your subject" principle

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-29-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I have attached an image showing two British soldiers in a well entrenched position. Can somebody please identify the unit and which type of Brodie they are wearing? I'm guessing that is Hadrian's Wall behind?

Oz.

CBH
    ?

Are you sure is isn't winter Malta camo ?

Quote by Ubique View Post
    I have attached an image showing two British soldiers in a well entrenched position. Can somebody please identify the unit and which type of Brodie they are wearing? I'm guessing that is Hadrian's Wall behind?
    Oz.
    The helmet is the quite rare 'flat-domed' Brodie MkVIII/4B. At a guess I would say that they are from the Staffordshire's - who are normally based in the Potteries.

Looks more like Berlin brigade camo to me!...

Quote by Ubique View Post

Oz.
    Astonishing! You found pictorial evidence of my very helmet in use! Now the IWM staff won't kick me out of their cafe a second time like they did when i tried to show them this helmet. I know Mr. Goldhelmet was a stand up and honest chap, as he sent me his word and a hand written note assuring me the provenance of this one of a kind lid. To think... the Northumbrian Ulster Territorial Service! What a gem.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    (See the reference book on these helmets - and others... 'Goldie's Great Helmets of WW11.'
    This is the stand alone reference on the subject, the seller kindly included a betamax copy of it.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The serrated edge of the sellotape is another area of concern for me. I'm not sure if tape dispensers of that period were using that type of blade.
    Ah, but thats where you are mistaken! This is the rare "serrated edge, disruptive, sellotape, MkIV". The aforementioned reference covers the use of wartime sellotape as a camouflage applicator in depth. Additionally, see some of his other works...

SMP
    ?

More rare helmets - in combat , so please don't say they are "enhanced "
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New helmet: HADRIANS Wall CAMO MKII Northumbrian Ulster Territorial Service   New helmet: HADRIANS Wall CAMO MKII Northumbrian Ulster Territorial Service  

New helmet: HADRIANS Wall CAMO MKII Northumbrian Ulster Territorial Service   New helmet: HADRIANS Wall CAMO MKII Northumbrian Ulster Territorial Service  

?

I give up, I need a holiday,I'm off to see the wizard ,the wonderful wizard of oz........

Quote by pluto View Post
    I give up, I need a holiday,I'm off to see the wizard ,the wonderful wizard of oz........
    I believe that he is currently in Perth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast