Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New MK2

Article about: I would really appreciate opinions on this helmet. The colour in the photographs is mainly correct, some fill in flash was used. There are no makers marks visible. There seems to be a decal/

?

Default New MK2

I would really appreciate opinions on this helmet. The colour in the photographs is mainly correct, some fill in flash was used. There are no makers marks visible. There seems to be a decal/flash under the paint? There is too much dust on the liner at the moment to read the maker/date, but it seems to be made in 1939 or earlier due to the round pad?
    Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New MK2   New MK2  

New MK2   New MK2  

New MK2   New MK2  

New MK2   New MK2  

New MK2   New MK2  

New MK2   New MK2  

New MK2  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: New MK2

very nice andy it looks very much in the style of my warden mk11 especially with the elasticated chinstrap ,another nice find

Looks good IMHO. I like the paint and with the round flash underneath. It appears to have traces of the date stamped to the right of the chinstrap lug in the last picture.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Can't say what the colour is for but the shell & liner will most probably be dated 39. I think it was once an NFS helmet, looks like the badge at the front plus a red band for leading fireman or maybe a white band for a woman. Plus his/her Number on the inside rim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New MK2  

?

Under the loupe I see the band is dark red, there are traces of the same on the decal with a tiny spot of gold. Looks like you were spot on tinlid!
    It seems to have been over painted off-white over green, with the over-paint directly on the band not as dark as the rest of the helmet. Then either there was a darker tan over-paint, or more likely the helmet was "oiled" or treated in some way to darken the finish.
    An odd one indeed. If the liner was squeaky clean and had been removed, I would be inclined to say that it had been messed with. Would an early NFS lid be re issued?
    No luck with the makers mark/date though.

Best Regards,
    Andy

EDIT:
    NFS Column Officer. White helmet, narrow red band.

New MK2   New MK2  

New MK2  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

These helmets were often re-issued during the war & would have had a life long after the war as well into the 50's & 60's. The red paint on the band has reacted with the overpaint, you see this quite often.

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    These helmets were often re-issued during the war & would have had a life long after the war as well into the 50's & 60's. The red paint on the band has reacted with the overpaint, you see this quite often.
    Thanks tinlid.

I started to clean the liner. Written in neat white letters half underneath the oval pad is Harris B C, and NFS half hidden on the other side of the pad. As this is white, and the name on the inside rim is Harris B C in tan, it looks like this was a plain white overpaint at one time that has degraded to this odd tan colour?
    Bugger, there goes my desert rat theory!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New MK2  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

luv it andy, yields character my kinda lid nice piece all in all,regards dave.

?

Cleaning tip:
    When you have 50/60 yrs build up of dust inside one of these liners, clean it with a rag, damp or othewise, a paint brush, a toothbrush or anything.
    Do not, under any circumstances succumb to the urge to take a deep breath and blow. Hard. Indoors.
    Trust me, because I know. I certainly do now anyway.

Best Regards,

Dusty.

Last edited by aj4010; 08-15-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Cleaning tip:
    When you have 50/60 yrs build up of dust inside one of these liners, clean it with a rag, damp or othewise, a paint brush, a toothbrush or anything.
    Do not, under any circumstances succumb to the urge to take a deep breath and blow. Hard. Indoors.
    Trust me, because I know. I do now anyway.

Best Regards,

Dusty.
    Agreed, sometime ago i got sick because of that.
    Now to clean something i have to do it outdoors.
    Great Lid Andy.
    Tinlid was spot on indeed.
    Cheers.
    Nuno