Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New MKII and a hessian cover

Article about: Hello, Here’s another helmet I picked up, dated 1943 but I can’t make out anything else. Is the red coming through some kind of primer used in the factory? The liner stamp is very hard to re

?

Default New MKII and a hessian cover

Hello,

Here’s another helmet I picked up, dated 1943 but I can’t make out anything else. Is the red coming through some kind of primer used in the factory? The liner stamp is very hard to read, I can see a 6 1/ and I think 1943.

Now, I also picked up a hessian helmet cover and I know there’s probably no way of saying if it’s of WWII manufacture but I liked the look of it and it didn’t belong to the helmet it was plonked on so I bought it.

As can be seen, it’s had a couple of repairs done and there are some fragile bits where it sits on the rim so I don’t want to pull the drawstring too much. One last thing, I replaced the drawstring it had with the white bootlace seen in the photos.

So, I think the 1943 helmet is pukka but what do you think about the cover?

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New MKII and a hessian cover   New MKII and a hessian cover  

New MKII and a hessian cover   New MKII and a hessian cover  

New MKII and a hessian cover  

?

Some photos are missing, here are the others.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New MKII and a hessian cover   New MKII and a hessian cover  

?

I think your helmet is correct, these dark brown ones are a bit tricky to determine if correct to WW2. The date is right anyway,1943, looks to have been made by EC&Co ( E. Camelinat & Co)
    The cover could also be WW2, mine ties up like yours, but is made up of one piece, while yours is two pieces.

?

Aaron, I’d have said the helmet is green, the colours for the Brit MKII really confuse me.

What’s the tell tale sign for the helmet manufacturer? I’m having trouble seeing the date. Nope hold on, there's an EC next to the year.

As for the cover well, I really wasn’t expecting anyone to say it might possibly be a good one but then it isn’t brand new looking which is why I took a chance and bought it.

Tony

?

Some time in 1943 they started painting the Mk2 dark brown.
    The hessian covers I've seen that are post war are normally just tucked under the liner.

?

The helmet was sold as being late war with a factory textured finish.

SMP
    ?

I would say it has definitely been re-painted post war. There appears to be many layers of paint ( including the red primer ) on it. One thing is certain, it isn't factory finished.

?

That’s not good to hear, my inexperience with WWII helmets means I can't form my own opinion and am dependent on others.

Does anyone else have any thoughts before I contact the person I got it from?

?

Quote by SMP View Post
    I would say it has definitely been re-painted post war. There appears to be many layers of paint ( including the red primer ) on it. One thing is certain, it isn't factory finished.
    I forgot to say, in hand it doesn't appear to have layers of paint.

Does anyone else want to comment/put my mind at ease or not as the case might be?

Tony

Hi, Tony
    for items that I see, seems repainted after the war, but we should better observe the liner, those post-war I,ve seen most often were produced in late 40s and 50s, and between the two there are important difference in the material and the type of markings, in particular the place where is size printed.
    I remind you that often the production year is half-covered by the rubber pad, as you can see from the photos.
    If I can help you, I post some pictures of helmets revised after the war.
    gretings
    Roberto

1°- helmet with post war liner (1949)
    New MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian cover

2°-other helmet liner post (1949)
    New MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian cover

3°- helmet liner post (1954)
    New MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian coverNew MKII and a hessian cover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast