Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

New Zealand Home Guard Helmet

Article about: Hi all. Bit of a weird one today. The label attached to this stated that it was use by the NZ home guard. I have never seen anything like it. It is raw edge (no markings that I can see) and

Default New Zealand Home Guard Helmet

Hi all. Bit of a weird one today. The label attached to this stated that it was use by the NZ home guard. I have never seen anything like it. It is raw edge (no markings that I can see) and has odd rivets for the liner and chinstraps. The liner is reminiscent of a British MK2 in that it has arms with felt pads attached, but rather than a rubberized liner it is made of a sort of canvas, that looks to have been painted at some point. No idea about the insignia, I couldn't find another online. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand Home Guard Helmet   New Zealand Home Guard Helmet  

New Zealand Home Guard Helmet   New Zealand Home Guard Helmet  

?

Looks like an Hardleys made NZ helmet, or similar non military type.
    Quite rare to find I think.

Thanks Tinlid. I can now see that it looks like a variant of Hardley helmet, although I am still on the hunt for markings. Looks like it was painted brown (possibly), then apple green (its sat next to a MK1 shell with its original apple green paint and the colour is almost identical) so i've just got to find out the significance of the NZ insignia.

That looks like one super rare helmet to me, I see nothing to suggest that this lid has been played around with. A good honest piece displaying a good honest unit marking. Well done, a find that is fast becoming a "needle in the haystack"! Leon.

Cheers for that Leon. I'm glad of the positive responses regarding the paintwork as I know that this is often the most contentious part of a helmet. I am still looking for a photo of such a helmet in wear but I think you summed it up neatly with "needle in the haystack." I did find a similar "military" Hardley helmet on the Auckland War Memorial Museum site, but apart from that the search continues.

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/collec...met&ordinal=49

Hello. I am a helmet collector from New Zealand and new to this site . I have been collecting for a few years now but by no means an expert. What you have is a nz made civil defence helmet made by the nz railways workshop in Auckland. They were also made in Christchurch but with a different liner. It's not a Hartleys made helmet which is a different shape and liner. There is also another nz made helmet which is known as the nzp helmet . Hope this helps

Default Hardley helmet from New Zealand

Hi from UK, interesting thread, I have in my collection a New Zealand Hardley Helmet I bought many years go without knowing what it was, but I like Homefront ARP helmets and it had a W for Warden on it.. and a fabulous camouflage pattern.
    New Zealand Home Guard HelmetNew Zealand Home Guard HelmetNew Zealand Home Guard HelmetNew Zealand Home Guard Helmet